I wanted to try and target Lake trout this year I catch a few of them here and there by accident but I would like to try and target them a few times this coming year. Any suggestions on tackle would be much apprieciated. I have tons of tackle for everything else just nothing specifically for Lake Trout.

LOC results show a lot of success using cowbells with a peanut.

Hammerhead lures maks my favorite ones. The large size lake-trolls . Follow them with a spoon, kwik-fish, wobble troll, fly, cut/whole bait a couple feet behind as if a wounded baitfish trying to keep up.. You likely already have things to pull behing the cowbells.

Keep trollin speed slowwww (1.25-1.9) and lures just off bottom. Tracking bottom requires constant monitoring and adjustments. Sometimes a quick raising of the cannonball for 15-20' will trigger a strike when they appear uninterested. They don't always trip the release when near bottom, so keep an eye on the rods for signs of extra weight.

Target water temps in low 40's. Near the Niagara River, they can be quite shallow during the winter and spring in 30' water (green can), but as summer comes they are found out deeper near the drop (red can). Canadian waters west of red can are my best areas.

8-10' leads from ball.

Have some fun, and good luck.

For lakers, Cowbells and peanuts or cowbells and spin n glows are the top producers. I like to troll from .7 to 1.8 with 1.3 being my best speed. I have caught lakers on those rigs in water from 60 - 220' deep. Put the rigger ball on the bottom and then lift it up one foot. You want to keep it within 3' of the bottom. Run one rig close to the ball (5') and the other back 20 max. If you have more questions, feel free to pm me.