Running copper on the planer boards over wire?

I'm planning on running 2 wire rods off each side this year. Its new to me but I think I understand how that works Plus I want to run copper off of the planner boards which I just tried the last time I was out for a bit and loved it. I used to run it down the chute and want to keep the chute clear. My question is when the wire/diver rods are set and I let all the copper out and use rubberband/showercurtain hook method to run my copper out to the boards. Is the copper going to hit the wire when it runs across? Does the same rule apply, outside rods must progressively be shallower as they get farther out so they clear the inside rods? Is my best bet just using inline planerboards instead so I can let more line out before the board starts pulling to the outside?

Thanks for the help. Just trying to run this in my head first before I try it. Trying to avoid a rats nest if all avoidable :rofl:

I run Mag size divers set on 1.5 for my inside diver lines and mag slide divers on 3.5+ for outside diver lines and never have problems between them and my copper board lines. The mag divers have a very sharp angle down & the copper sinks slowly, so the two lines do not have a conflict. If you get a double on same side diver & copper you need to keep an eye on things but that's par for the course w/ doubles anyway. I use the Scotty 1177 planer style power grips for copper on the boards (if you buy the stacker packs & use your own rings, it's a better deal for you). Only attach the release to your backing -not the copper. On L.O. I much prefer to run the copper out on the big boards rather than inlines, when an inline goes under it makes things difficult-Andy

Of all my stuff I usually set my diver rods 1st cuz they are a quick easy way to get a bait working, never had a problem deploying coppers or long cores w/ the dipsys out. Biggest thing that can get you is when changing out a copper line & you get a trip n' miss on a long, deep diver line -when that diver line heads for the surface and your copper is in the chute you want to keep track of things! -Andy

The only time you run into problems putting out your wires first is if you deploy the copper too fast. Set the copper rod and let it "settle" before putting it on the board. Another tip, Do not turn sharp or your copper will find the high dipsy. Don't ask me how I know that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem setting copper on big boards after I've set the dipsies. I do exactly what Gambler stated above, I let the copper out slowly, and then stick in a rod holder for a few minutes to let it settle out, a little insurance that the copper will clear the dispsy.

Last summer I discover one of my dipsy line counter reels was grously inaccurate, the counter said 275, but I have feeling it was much further out than that, more like 350-375 and that got tangled with a 400 copper twice in the same day during a turn. :@ That is the only major problem I have had with running copper and dipsies. Now that know the inaccuracy of that line counter reel I haven't had any problems with tangles again. I've had some other growing pains with copper, but that is part of the learning curve.