another wire question?

want to start using wire for the my divers. going to use wire but what i would like to know is the exact set up that you guys use?

do you attach the wire to the dispsey then put a leader on and where do you put on the snubber?

also what do you use for the leader, how long, what poundage. really confused. any info would help a ton!!!!!!!!

THANKS

If you search thru the past posts you will find tons of wire info. But to answer your questions, yes, at the end of the wire you tie a high quality snap swivel using the wire knot (its on here somewhere) or crimps. I was a fan of crimps until I tried the knot, its simple and it works. The snubber follows the dipsey, then comes the leader. The big thing to remember is that wire has no stretch, without a snubber, if you pull that rod 4 feet, your 30lb king just moved 4 feet.

For a leader I have been running seaguer 20#, but just moved up to 30# berkley biggame. I normally use 5 - 8' of leader, less if I am running a flasher/fly.

good luck

When puting on the wire be sure to put it on as tight as you can if not it could catch or hang up and snap if a big fish is running with it.take it out and put a 1 lb weight on the end of it and let it all out behind the boat while trolling then reel it in and it will reel on nice and tight.I also put some braided line on the reel first this give the wire something to grab on to when you first put it on.Hope this helps good luck.And hold on :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

i,m rigging up wire tomorrow and would like to know if i am suppose to use some kind of backing.. i am rigging up a diawa 47 sealine reel. some people like the wire knot, and others like crimping. do the crimps come with the wire line? thanx tight lines and drags SCREAMING!!!

TB dont be in a big hurry to get your wire setup in the water.

Be sure to do the 1lb weight dragged thru the water to make sure the line is on tight enough.Also learn the knot mentioned above as you will find the wire has a tendency to pigatail on the ends and you will want to cut it off and retie. Something that is a pain to do with crimps.

Ive lost tackel to crimps, never lost any to the knot.

Personally I run 1000ft of 30lb test mason wire. Its all Ive ever ran and really know nothing about the other mfg. Ive never ran backing.I use a 9ft leader between the dipsey and whatever Im pulling behind it.My leaders are 30lb test ande line.[im running 10ft roller rods]

As in every new endever there is a learning curve. Put in the time and you will do alright.

thanx for all the input, went to b-e fishing tackle and bought some wire. i fished with a guy last sunday and his wire was black mine is stainless steel. does this make a difference? i am learning the wire knot tonight with mono and a swivel so i only have to do it once with the wire. also should i at least crimp at the reel? was gonna put it on at home and do the one lb thing when i hit the water first thing the next time i get out!!! thanx tight lines and draga SCREAMING!!!!