question about wire vs. 80# braid

i ran dipseys with flasher/fly combos with wire yesterday for the first time in 2 years (hadn't been on lake O for 2 yrs - i mostly fish the fingerlakes)

we caught some fish off the wire, but i don't really like fishing with wire (it isn't pliable and doesn't come off the reel as nicely as braid). My understanding is that wire helps get a little deeper with dipseys.

What are thr advantages of using wire, COMPARED TO USING 80 POUND BRAID with the dipsey flasher combo?

thanks,

andre

i ran dipseys with flasher/fly combos with wire yesterday for the first time in 2 years (hadn't been on lake O for 2 yrs - i mostly fish the fingerlakes)

we caught some fish off the wire, but i don't really like fishing with wire (it isn't pliable and doesn't come off the reel as nicely as braid). My understanding is that wire helps get a little deeper with dipseys.

What are thr advantages of using wire, COMPARED TO USING 80 POUND BRAID with the dipsey flasher combo?

thanks,

andre

I think the biggest diffrence is the fleas they really attach to the braided line. I like useing braid later in the season when the fleas are not so bad i run #60 braid

I use 2 rods on wire and 2 on braid - yes the braid is easier.

I use the wire for 2 reasons - it helps get the line deeper, so I use SD and fly combos on the wires at 80 - 100 ft. This was very productive this past weekend in Bronte.

I also use the wire to help with the fleas. They basically slide right off - they do get caught up in the swivels though - but I can take a knife to them and splice them off.

I may have interpreted information I've read but my understanding is that there is hardly any difference in how deep wire will get you VS braid while running dipseys. Besides flea problem with braid, which I find easy to deal, i don't believe there is much advantage to wire. I suppose the "sonic signature" mentioned by Chowder is a logical hypothesis but I've run both for many years and now strictly run braid due to convenience and my numbers never seemed to drop off. You may want to pick up a copy of the book at the link below- -I refer to it often when determining my spreads in all types of water bodies

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... n_Book.htm

I may have interpreted information I've read but my understanding is that there is hardly any difference in how deep wire will get you VS braid while running dipseys.

This is true for 30 lb Braid. The dive curves for 30 lb braid and 30 lb wire are nearly identical. This does not hold for 80 lb braid which is 55% larger in diameter and thus, has more drag and reduced depth.

RCO,

Braid and wire both have thin diameters true, but the wire is obviously much heavier. There is about a 5 - 10% difference in depth between the wire and braid at deeper depths. So at the same line length there is hardly a difference in shallow depths but after about 50 feet you will get around 5 - 10% more depth with the wire.

Also you generally can get to any depth up to around 90 ft on braid, just pull out more line - but wire can get you to the 100 - 110 ft depth, which is much more difficult for braid.

So, if getting to 100 ft and lower is important - you do have this benefit with wire on the Mag 3 dipsey set at 0 with around 230 feet of wire out.