1993 Trophy Serpentines

Maybe it's just me, but that's not a term I've heard applied to a boat, other than to the belt on the motor.

Can you describe a bit more what it's doing? I assume you mean it has a tendency to wander or not track strait? High speed or low, both? I'm also guessing the compensator plate you mention is the trim tab on the bottom side of the cavitation plate...

Also is your steering single or dual cable? Outboard, I/O?

If you have an I/O and are talking about the boat wandering and you have to constantly correct course at slow/idle speed, that is normal for I/O boats. Every one that I've ever owned, or been on has done that.

Tim

Skip,

I have on '08 Trophy 2152 and it has the worst bow wander on any boat I've ever owned. I think it's the style of the boat. Trimming my motor all the way so it pushes my stern deep into the water helps......a little.

- Chris

Oh BTW, the trim tab really has little if any benefit at low (idle) speeds, in fact moving it off center seemed to make the wander worse for me...as if its more sensitive to the steering one way or the other off of perfectly straight.

The intended purpose of the tab is to offset the torque of the prop at higher speeds.

The topic of low speed wander has come up since Jim Wynne designed the deep vee hull. Almost every boat test conducted by Trailer Boats magazine in the 1970's brought that topic up.

This is one of the reasons boats are usually referred to as female - they go where they want, when they want, and can't seem to be able to make up their minds.

Actually some boat designs are more prone to low speed wander than others and I've read that some Trophy's tend to wander a lot. One Trophy owner said that he tried a "Super Fin" ( www.superfinmarine.com ) and it helped quite a bit. I've found on my Penn Yan that lowering the trim tabs a little also helped some.

Next time out on the water and the boat starts to wander, send someone up front as far as they can go. See if the wander decreases. Moving weight forward typically corrects for yaw. It sounds funny, but I added 200lbs of weight to the bow of my 25ft Wellcraft and "most" of the yaw went away. It rides a little nicer now too. It's worth a shot.

Be real slow and deliberate in responding to the wander...quick steering movements in response to the bow movements compound the problem which seems to be inherent in the design of an I/O on a deep V hull.

Add on fins such as the one mentioned above have gotten good reviews from owners on sites such as baylinerownersclub.com. Lots of good bayliner/trophy info on there. Use the thread search function after registering and search for "bow wander".

Jarrett

1988 Bayliner Trophy 2160

Guys, this is my dads boat, and its an outboard, 150 Merc. Pulls pretty hard right when on plane too.

We tipped the kicker up out of the water, but it did not change anything.

Adjust the trim tab. Rotate aft of tab to the starboard (right) in your case.