Missdemeanor- Sandy Creek Shootout.

All I can say is WOW! Thanks to Scott, Rob, Keith, Mike, and all the volunteers. A special thanks to Rob's father-in-law, Chris, for allowing us to dock in front of his house.

Friday the 22nd, we started our pre fish day at 0530. We fished around the pump house heading North west towards Devil's nose out to 230 FOW. Started with a basic spoon pattern with flies on the divers and a 200 copper down the cute. It was skippy central and I quickly changed over to all paddles and flies. After finally getting all the gear back out the 230 diver goes with a major. That fish his a white nuclear spin doctor towing a glow alewife Fox fly. I saw the fish had the entire fly down his throat and figured that combo was good to go....it took another major on it as well a big steelie. That combo was my most active of the day.

Fridays pics

100_1377.jpg

100_1372.jpg

100_1378.jpg

Friday night I went in to work at 1100pm and worked till 0400 Saturday 23rd....With no sleep I head out with my brother and Dad to giver her hell. My buddy was supposed to fish with us, but he got called out on an emergency call out ( Swat team leader)... It was an easy decision to head back to the same waters. Our day was Kind of a grind. Nothing fast and furious , but a steady pick. I kept the first 4 fish that were over ten pounds, and then threw back until we were able to upgrade. We managed a decent box and left for the weigh station with 5 fish in the box. At the weigh in, in the parking lot, We discussed what to do....here's the situation: we had a decent Brown that we thought had a chance at winning. We also had a Salmon that was only 3-4 lbs heavier than the brown. I knew we were not close to first so our weighed in box consisted of three kings and the Brown. Well the brown came up short for the big brown award ( Congrats MY Mink) but our box was good enough for 5th. Good rigs for the day were White Spin Docs with Atomik Frozen Frogs, Fox Flies Glow alewife and High Octane Green, And Familiar Bite whole bait.

Shoot out pics

SandyCreekShootout2011003.jpg

SandyCreekShootout2011005.jpg

SandyCreekShootout2011004.jpg

SandyCreekShootout2011006.jpg

We had a great time, and I'm already looking forward to next year. Thanks again to all those on the committee for all the hard work.

Great job Matt and as always, nice to talk with you :yes: I could relate to the lack of sleep part :sleepy: and want to thank the guys on Nothing But Net Keith and Gator for letting me get a little shut eye while we were out, but they probably just wanted me to stay away from the rods since I had a little bit of the dropsies :o:$:@ Thank goodness the couple I dropped weren't majors :sweating: and didn't keep us out of the :cash:

Great time again at the shootout :clap::clap: I know they have some other help especially at the weigh in but for really only the 4 of you, you do a bang up job and congrats to you for a job well done :yes:

Matt,

I'm sure that we would have caught fish on spoons as well, I just didn't want to go through the headache of clearing the rods every five minute with all the skipper kings we had on Friday. I figured we would cut our bite numbers in half, but the bites would be quality fish. Even that Brown hit a Spin Doc and Fly. It just seems like every skipper had all three hooks down their throats. Not good for a catch and release rate.

Another thing I need to comment on is the amount of Steel head around Sandy Creek....Holy smokes you guys have some real quality fish!

A big congrats goes out to Captain Jason Franz, His wife Trish and crew for another win. Jason is a great guy and a great fisherman.

Matt,

Awesome report - thanks for sharing bud. That's one beautiful brown.

BTW - I love your line about the "greased bb", I have to start using that one. lol

- Chris