Cayuga Lighthouse derby 8/13

Ben and I decided to try for browns for the derby and had a great time. We were out of our element fishing so shallow in such warm water. We stayed in water 60' to 80' and started with 2 riggers with stinger spoons parked at 35 and 45 and two dipsys 100' on 3 setting with stick baits. We had a steady pick all morning with several doubles and a couple triples. Highlight of the morning was a double with Ben landing a 4lb brown and the "old man " as he calls me dropping a huge rainbow that would have been between 8 and 10 pounds right at the back of the boat. My wife and 1dogshy joined us later in the morning after the bite slowed but we still got a few more fish. We went in for weigh-in and enjoyed a chicken bbq before going back out till dark. Being tired from a full day of fighting fish and weeds we decided to run 2 rigggers and 600' copper. The girls landed several more fish with 1dogshy landing a nice 5lb landlock . Just before dark the copper rod fired, Ben fought the fish for 5 or 10 minutes and we could tell it was a good one. He handed the pole to 1dogshy and asked her if she wanted the fighting belt she said no. We checked the time and after 5 minutes asked her if she was ready for the fighting belt and she was. After 15 minutes we boated the laker. Great way to end the day!

008.jpg

battle is on!

010.jpg

016.jpg

wanted to post a pic to help with fish I.D. These fish look alot alike. Brown on left jaw goes back to the eye,square tail more spots farther below lateral line. Landlock more tapered head, jaw stops short before eye, fewer spots below lat. line and forked tail. Some have more fork than others. Hope this helps. Wes

Congrads Wes! They do look a like and I struggle a with this but I think your dead on. No question about it brown on the left and salmon in the right. As you mentioned the head and tail are the dead give away. I suspect a lot people are mistaking these big salmon for browns.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

What Great Day!... Great Time! ...with Great People!! :yes::yes:

It was very nice to meet many of you and to be welcomed!...thanks..!!!!!

It ment a lot to me to be welcomed so warmly... :yes::yes::yes:

A Big Thanks to Wes, Brenda and Ben... 8)8)

I had a blast!!

Cayuga_Lighthouse_derby.jpg

Fish On!

DSC04342.jpg

Hey... the rod didnt have the rubber end on it and was digging in!! :lol:

So I took the belt!!! :yes::clap:

Much better!!

congrats on the slam ERABBIT we are still waiting for ours, we are usually missing the brown, we catch browns and guess what we lose the rainbow lol. If we would have landed the bow we would have had a salmon over 5 lbs, a laker over 7lbs, a brown just under 7lbs and that bow as the old man said was a solid 8 maybe more. would have made for one hell of a slam but our day will come.