Speed and Temp Sensor Necessary?

I've been trolling for salmon, steels, and browns in Lake O for about four years now without a sensor at my ball. Some days ( about a quarter of them) are good but most not so good. I'm thinking about getting a connon or a Moor. Question 1) is do they really increase boating fish a lot or are they just another toy. Question 2) Other than the light sensor on the Cannon is one really better than the other?

Thanks Guys!

Necessary? Not really, but definitely helpful once you learn how to use it. This topic has been discussed at great length here. I suggest you use the search feature and go back through all of the posts on probes. The different probes all have fans, strong points and weaknesses. I’m sure you will learn what you need to know.

I have a Depth Raider and I definately catch more fish since I installed it. The biggest advantage I think is knowing the speed at the ball. I was suprised to see how different the underwater current is compared to the surface current. The temperature is also and important tool when it comes to finding Kings. I monitor my Depth Raider more than my Fish Finder.

Brian(Goin Deep)

I would not EVER fish without it. It is as necessary as bringing rods and tackle. Besides speed changes- how about temp changes??? from one day to the next, the down temp can change by more then 20 degrees. YOU MUST HAVE IT to consistanly catch fish!!

Walleye - I used to use a fishhawk handheld temp probe which now serves as backup. There are other styles that can be clipped to or dropped down your rigger cable. If you're flat broke you could always find the thermocline just by trying to bracket it with a pair of cannonballs, bring em up fast and check to see if they're warm or cold. It's a PITA if you change locations or conditions change - Sunday we could watch the lake start to upwell in different spots along the shore. Speed is a lot tougher. With experience you can get a pretty good idea from your dipsey's, but still no substitute for the down probe unless you are running a thumper rod. Angle of rigger cable is not reliable at all. Best to run a zigzag course and see if inside or outside lines get hit, or change speed often. Different days sometimes require different speeds from the same lures anyway.