Canandaigua 8/15,8/18, 8/19

August 15, 2011

Monday morning 8/15 we were met with heavy clouds, after Sunday's storm and the full moon the fish were very inactive from 6:30 - 11:30 we fished the white rock area to Whiskey Point anywhere from 100-220 fow. There were marks everywhere swimming in the riggers, 35'-70' but no action. I tried very hard running 8 rod spread of 3 wire divers, 300' copper, and 4 rigger rods. We got one lake trout 14" on the Pro Troll 8" white crush glow/chrome and mirage fly off the probe rigger running the shark. A very bold little fish destined to be fruitful quarry in years to come.

August 18, 2011

Thursday morning I set the boat up before my dad, brother and nephew arrived hoping for an even earlier start. We were set up at 6:00 am running 3 riggers strictly with spoons, I had some old hardware I found and wanted to give it a try. Some Sutton spoons mixed in with other no name spoons, running through the colors, hammered, silver, 50/50, nada. The weather was much nicer than Monday but it made no difference. These fish had lockjaw, I worked in 2 wire divers with spoons, working the 65-100 fow near the drop off up to Walton Point. We just could not get these fish to go so I said we had to move. We pulled the rods and ran down to Point Rochester setting up in 180 fow. 300' copper and 3 riggers, 2 wire divers, and 7 color lead core on an inline board. The weeds that plagued us near the drop off were non existent in this new clean water. I had my favorite colors out for attractors, but I had to switch the rigger flashers until we got a hit on the probe rigger again, running an 11" Hot Spot Green Italian with a glow squid, at 57' down. Trever did a great job reeling in the fish as far as he could until he asked for my help to finish the job. We continued moving in and out from 140' - 240' when the copper rod fired. I asked my brother to clear the center rigger while dad steered the boat. Trever was ready to help with the billy club, and when the fish hit the net my brother was hoisting up the net over the transom as the net pole is bending under the strain of the fish. My brother is in awe looking at how big the fish is and I am stunned. We had worked so hard and finally the pay off. The fish tipped the Rapala scale at 15 lbs. My best on Canandaigua so far. The move was a good idea, the inactive fish and the weeds in the first area we fished were still there, but we were over active fish even if we only picked up two for the box. We did land one more small 14" laker on the pro troll white chrome/ glow with a mirage fly on the rigger at 61' down.

August 19, 2011

Friday morning we started a little later since the bite seemed to be better later anyway. We ran to Menteth Point and fished to Point Rochester. We fished 6:30 to 10:30 landing one 14" brown trout on a Sutton 22 run off the 7 color lead core on an inline board. And the wire diver set at 145' running my favorite pro troll echip 8" flasher white chrome/crush glow with the ATOMIK Mirage fly was the hot set up again picking up an 8 1/2 lb. lake trout. We had good times despite the tough fishing. We stayed at a cottage for the week, inside the cottage there was a cool old map of Canandaigua Lake.

I snapped a few pictures hoping they would come out okay. I think they look good and the map was dated 1937, the depth markings are accurate even showing the deep hole of 274'.

100_2477.jpg

Thursday Trever and his 4 lb fish

100_2485.jpg

Thursday The 15 lb fish that took the 300' copper

CIMG0013.jpg

100_2479.jpg

100_2480.jpg

Cottage Life

100_2439.jpg

100_2470.jpg

100_2440.jpg

Friday The 8 1/2 lb fish