Thumper rod questions

I've been having some problems this year on a six rod spread running dipseys and copper at the same time on our 8 ft beam boat. When we don't run the copper off the board, we've had a couple tangles. My thought to mininize those costly messes is to run thumper rods instead of dipseys when I have the copper in the water. I'm thinking the thumper rod should be more predictable than the dipsey rod...what do you think? Is a 1 lb wieght what most of you go with?

Thumper's are new to me. We ran them one day last week and all our fish that morning came on the thumpers, but we only ran 4 rods with no copper.

Thanks for any advise.

Rod

Richard,

We have tried a dipsey on both sides, and a copper out the shute, but that just created problems. It was okay most of the time....but one screw up on the wheel and what a mess :x We seem to be okay if we run only one dipsey, but I was curious to know if a thumper set up would allow us to run two wire rods, along with the copper and riggers. If I want to run dipsies I would pull the copper. Does that make any sense?

Thanks,

Rod

the best thing for your copper is to let it all the way out cut the line and put away the rod and put out the dypsys ulnless ya keep it straight and have a newbe to reel it in each time you get a fish on the dypsys ..........if you keep on the wheel copper with dypsys wont tangle but reel like a mad man everytime you get a fish on

Rod,

Get yourself a church board and put the cooper out to the side. If you are running with a newbie at the wheel, anything down the chute will cause you problems. By putting the cooper out to the side that gets it away from the dipseys farther. Good Luck.

Rich

hey i was gonna make this and sell it but anyone using copper might be interested ,to get the concept (it works) take a screw in tool hanger the type with a single screw and a "u" shaped hanger on the end straighten everything so you can put it in your cordless drill and it runs pretty true (no wabble) then you can slip the forks over the handle of your copper reel and wind that sucker in with a cordless drill when you need to clear the copper rig for a fight dont try high speed ,if ya want to get fancey take a double handle reel handle put a carrage bolt with nut and use that for your winder...leave the rod in the holder so you can keep the reel supported and............ centered with your free hand......

I do run it on the board sometimes, but I have 500 & 600 copper set ups and I don't really want to invest in a 300 & 400 also (this year, anyhow). Last week I only needed to run out 400 to get to the fish. So, since I'm understanding you shouldn't put the copper in the board release, I run it out the back on those times. Lots of folks would love to have our problems...no??

I love the copper.....It's been great on some days for me. So, I'm thinking on certain days when the board doesn't work and I want to get the copper in the water, change the wire rods to thumpers. Sounds logical to me but sometimes I'm a moran and can't see the forest through the trees. Maybe it won't work any better, but im thinking the thumper will track straiter in a turn. Am I wrong ?? Doesn't anyone run thumper's anymore?

Ray....when we get a fish on a line other than the copper (a rigger for instance), we have had great luck putting the copper rod up in the rocket launcher. Sometimes we have to move it once or twice depending on what the fish is doing, but so far it's worked out.

Thanks,

Rod

rod,

You have to know you are killing me, I am itching to rig up a 300 foot #45 copper!!!!!!!

Not sure if you knew but you can get the okuma 55 in high speed, 6:1 ratio.

I have though about splicing anchor points on my 600 foot copper so I can put it on a board.

I didn't know that about the Okuma, Brian. I did know Okuma had a reel that would handle the 600....didn't know the gear ratio? That's much faster than my current reel.

Go ahead and rig up another one, what's another $20 at this point...lol. All Season in Pulaski has a 600 ft spool of "I believe" #37 lb for $19.99. That's what I'm running currently.

Those extra knots worry me on a splice. If you trust your knots won't fail you, that's a way to go. Copper is pretty soft. If anyone runs copper with splices I'd like to hear how it's worked out.

I have a 600 rigged now, Another okuma 55 will set me back 75 bucks. Thanks for reminding me about allseason, I was there yesterday loading up on stuff, now, I have to post my weekly bash on Gander.

I didn't know that about the Okuma, Brian. I did know Okuma had a reel that would handle the 600....didn't know the gear ratio? That's much faster than my current reel.

Go ahead and rig up another one, what's another $20 at this point...lol. All Season in Pulaski has a 600 ft spool of "I believe" #37 lb for $19.99. That's what I'm running currently.

Those extra knots worry me on a splice. If you trust your knots won't fail you, that's a way to go. Copper is pretty soft. If anyone runs copper with splices I'd like to hear how it's worked out.

• 2 months later...

You can run one dipsy off each side...and a deep six down the chute without tangle issues. The deep six has a steep dive curve, therefore, running in front and below the dipsys. No problem with tangles. You can hit 80' depth with wire or braid with them also.