What are people seeing for rutting activity, so far

T_barb

I spent all last week hunting the hills over Seneca Lake, first setup camp and then for my honey hole to to put up my stand, I couldn't believe it, someone had a stand in the tree I've been using for quite a few years,so much for that watch. The wind sucked all week hunting from a ground blind.By Wednesday I was still looking , heavy leave cover on the ground, hard to find runs not seeing scrapes. Started a little still hunting and spotted a deer moving up the ridge ahead of me, not much of a look and it was gone, I moved to the ridge looking for a run and the light came on,use the grunt tube stupid. OK I did a doe bleat and the next thing I hear is a buck grunting back at me and in he came straight at me to about20-25yds and looked me in the eye and he was big with a pot belly, might have been a 8pt. the kill zone was wide open but I couldn't move, he finely moved about 20yds,I drew back but no shot and he walked off,so much for him.I moved down the ridge about a .25 mile found a good run and set up a ground blind and went back to camp for lunch. Back to the blind by 3:00 and waited, nothing happened so I pulled out the call and gave it a toot,about ten minutes I called again,about ten more minutes and here comes a big buck down the hill at me,nice hight rack maybe 18-20 inch spread, 8or 10 pt. Had a hole about ten inches between to trees at about 25yds. I killed the tree :( . I changed the call to a grunt and tryed to bring him back, about 15min, a doe came in and I missed, arrow didn't get through the brush,Oh well :o I went back the next afternoon same thing ,started calling about 5:00 nice buck comes down the hill, got about 40yds out and the wind shifted and he was gone. Moved the blind back up the ridge the next day got in it about 3pm started calling about 5pm, had a doe pass about 40yds above me no shot, About 10min. later I spotted a deer about 50yds, the wind did me again. That was it for me.I didn't see any chasing and only 1or2 scraps, no over head limb, is that a buck scrap? I never saw a small deer all week. The weather sure was good for deer hunting.

My son and I saw 4 seperate bucks on the farm we hunt, 11/5.

8 total deer spotted.

Saw 8 pt chasing from my stand, and my son had a nice one respond to his grunt call.

No shot.

3 good un's on the cameras, but have not seen them yet.

Went past that farm last night, and they were taking the last beans from near his stand,(combine had the lights on, and could see them thru the trees) but there is a TON of beans left during the harvest of them.

Going to slip in there about 40 mins before first lift Sat morn, and have my son lay down a drag-rag scent trail, along the creek bottom, to his stand.

See what happens............

Got to see an aggressive eight point bodyslam a smaller six over a doe Saturday morning, just outside of bow range. Four hours later, we lost our access to the property! Never get stuck between two warring parties in an ugly divorce...

I tried something different yesterday, went out late, got in my blind at 9am till 2pm. At 12:oo I had a nice 8pt. come in behind me out in the hay lot. He had a nice high rack, I had a small window to shoot through so I stopped him but I didn't get the shot before he beat feet. About 10min. latter I heard two buck below me banging horns, it didn't last long. I still haven't seem a small deer this season. One more try in the morning. Be safe sat. good luck. :) .