Escaped Elk shot in Central New York

fishshack

I figured I would post this as it happened a few miles from my house. One of the shooters is a local deer processer and a good guy.

These same animals escaped last hunting season and a friend of mine saw them while deer hunting. He said he was very tempted but didn't shoot. Ok- what would you do if you are in your stand and a BIG bull elk comes trotting up?

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2011/12/deer_hunters_mistakenly_shoot.html

These guys may end up getting a ticket because their excuse was "I thought is was a deer". Therefore the DEC can give them a ticket for not properly identifing their target. Now if they said "I saw an elk so I shot it" they wouldnt be in any trouble because Elk are not a protected species in New York therefore have no regulations. (IE- wild boar).

Just to let you all know shooting a elk in New York is the same as shooting a moose. Ie a big no no. It was once native to this state there for a protected animal. Hogs are not. Check with Dec they will tell you the same. That is unless you have a preserve and own it with paper work to proof it. I was smart enough to call when cow elk with a tag in it's ear was with my cow's. I also know this from guiding on a preserve.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png