Some thoughts about observing.

I was lucky enough to have observed on a number of boats over the past 2 years. Looking back at this experience there is one thing that keeps on bugging me.

We see many observers get on boats and at least a few of them do not know the difference between a carp and a shark. This enables the captain of the boat to tell the observer that the fish just caught is an Atlantic salmon that has to be 25 inches in order to be legal,while it really is a 20 inch laker or brown trout.

Although I do believe that most captains are completely honest ,there should be no temptation because of an overpowering desire to win a competition.

I suggest that with the observer's package that is handed out at the captains meetings there is a laminated leaflet with clear pictures of each type of fish with the legal size measurements written right next to each fish type. This will make observing easier and less prone to mistakes.

Cornelis.

Each fish is checked in before being weight in the team would. Only be hurting them selves.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

It's not about what is boxed. It's about what gets thrown back in the water ( the just barely 19 inch fish that will not give weight points) in hopes of getting something bigger.

Cornelis.

Thank you for caring and being a dedicated observer. Observer Great lakes Tournaments are the ultimate, but there is always room for improvement. Ultimately, it comes down to the competing teams to provide a COMPETENT and courageous observer, not only to represent their interests but the interests of the rest of the field. I can assure you the issues you have raised are being discussed by tournament organizers. You are not the only one who feels this way, and doing a better job educating the observers will go along way. As my father has said for years, "whats right is right."

i think you have the wrong idea about observing...it doesnt matter what the captain tells the observer...its not the observers job to police the catch...only to make sure the boat is not breaking any rules of the tournament regarding how they are fishing...number of rods...radio and phone communication silence...fishing territory and where the fish are coming from...whether a fish is legal is the determination made at weigh in and weigh in only...the observer is not a vocal participant who tells the crew what they are doing wrong...their duty is to report wrongdoing at the end of the day...

i think you have the wrong idea about observing...it doesnt matter what the captain tells the observer...its not the observers job to police the catch...only to make sure the boat is not breaking any rules of the tournament regarding how they are fishing...number of rods...radio and phone communication silence...fishing territory and where the fish are coming from...whether a fish is legal is the determination made at weigh in and weigh in only...the observer is not a vocal participant who tells the crew what they are doing wrong...their duty is to report wrongdoing at the end of the day...

You are completely WRONG when it comes to making sure there are no legal fish thrown back that by tournament rules have to be kept.

Glen

my apologies...i misread the post...i was thinking he was stating keeping an illegal fish...

i get where youre going now...oops...

and i guess i would have to agree...there were very many inexperienced observers in the tournaments i participated in and i never thought of that scenario as a possibility...

I agree. A pocket sized ID book of actual lake O. fish pics, not drawings, would be a nice addition to any boat. Maybe someone could make one up and sell them here. I never really thought about that happening Cornelis, but I could see how someone could be taken advantage of if they have little or no experience fishing.

I agree - that would be handy for someone like me. The drawings are always perfectly distinct and the real fish, not so much. Just look at the disagreements over fish identification from photos posted here.