I Bay 8-23 Rookie Report

Heres my another rookie moments:

In short, went 1 for 2. Landed 22# king in 200 FOW and riggers 35 feet down and 20 feet out using Spin Doctor/A-Tom-Mik Fly.

Long version:

Went out for a short time last night from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. heading NE out of I bay. Warm water inshore and it became cold real fast which was a left over from the recent upwelling. It was 48 degrees in between 40 to 130 FOW. Headed out to 160 FOW and the cold water disappeared. Surface temp was around 67 in 170 FOW.

The rigger fired around 200 FOW. Grabbed the rod and it pulled me swiftly causing me to fall down on the transom while holding onto the rod. The reels were screaming the whole time - 75 feet of line out became 250 feet of line out instantly. My buddy helped me get up on my feet. The line kept running and my F finger got stuck in the reel. Another bonehead move. After 20 minutes fight, there the fish came and we netted it! I held 22# king while my friend took a picture with his Sidekick and he didnt save it.

Second rod fired about half hour later. I grabbed the rod. This time I didnt fall down. As I handed the rod to my buddy, he had a bottle of Heinkein in his hand as it was foaming all over and he handed it to me while I had a rod in my hands. Of course, this is a great way to lose the fish.

After we docked, my friend left the poles at the back of the car before he ran to relieve himself in the woods. Unknowingly, I backed out my car in a hurry from the parking lot and ran over my two brand new poles - one was dispey rod and heartland rod and the Daiwa 47LC reel was completely destroyed.

It was definitely not my night but my memory of fighting the 22 lbs fish helped me endure mental anguish. Let alone, my bruised "F" finger serves as a reminder that I will be going out again this weekend.

Tight lines and good luck with the LOC!

ya but you learned right , i put my boat in with no plug one time and started too sink and saved it with no time too spair now i like triple check my plug everytime before i drop it in so i"m sure you will look for rods before you back up lol , p.s did you go east or west out of the bay ? john

We were out last night about the same time. We went west however and Cold surface temp out to 120(46degs top 40degs at probe).

Moved out to 160fow and the surface was 67degs on surface and 43 degs down 80F at the probe. Marked a few fish, we lost a MAJOR king that hit the dipsey.

It's a funny thing on Wednesday the fog was costal because of the cold water in and the offshore breeze. Last night the fog was out deep because of the cold breeze and surface temp meeting