Seneca 03/12/12

Did a short trip today on Seneca we started at 10am and fished for around two and a half hours. The big fish were active today we put some big Lakers, Browns, and Salmon, in the boat. Three Lakers were over 30 inches. All of the Lakers took big weenie flies/flashers, the salmon and browns hit on spoons and cranks in the top 20 FOW. All of the fish went back in the lake for the next trip. It was a great day to be out and we had a blast :clap: .

426135_389957657700667_324369347592832_1395040_1573473002_n.jpg

420052_390033044359795_324369347592832_1395354_1732654227_n.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

Nice :clap: I see little two pole is getting bigger! Or do you call her little three pole :lol: Got my autopilot in today :clap: Hope to be on the lake next weekend! Wes

Thanks Guys we had a great time. What auto pilot did you get Wes? After having one I wouldn't know what to do with out it. Sally is little three pole now. Its nice with just the 3 girls on the boat gives me nine more rods :lol: We have had a few days when we ran an 18 to 21 rod spread :yes: I will be out next weekend let me know if you are going to be on Seneca, we were going to hit Sodus again but its hard to make the drive when the fishing is just as good on Seneca.

Nice catch......however....please explain to me how that hook/handle gadget doesn't increase the chance of mortality of those fish ? I realize it's probably just behind the gill plate, but they start thrashing and your going to tear some cartilage, muscle, etc. in and around the gills that may prevent them from functioning properly. Not trying to be a smart arse, but I can't be the only one thinking this. I hope to be enlightened....any studies on this?

No studies, like you said I put it just behind gill plate. If I ever get a fish that starts to bleed I keep it, both of these took off like a rocket. The best way is to do what I do for 90% of them I let them go at the swim plat form and they never hit the net or boat floor. That is why I don’t have pics of all the big Lakers from today. Problem is when you want pics or a client wants pics yet they have a hard time holding a fish. If you try to have a non-experienced angler or a child hold up a 32 inch lake trout for a picture it is going to hit the floor of the boat several times before that picture is taken. Jason and I quite often will have clients who will keep one big Laker for pics and just pass it around that way we can let the rest go at the back of the boat. Especially after you explain to them that once that fish in warm water hits the net, the deck, and gets passed around it isn’t going to make it. This is mainly in the summer when those big fish don’t do so well. This time of year you could keep that brown in a five gallon bucket for an hour and he would still slap you with his tail when he took off. If you see a pic of me holding a huge Laker next to the client that is because he is going back in the water and I don’t want him to hit the floor. As for the Fish-Pic fish holder it works for the times it is needed and the clients love it. Like I tell them when they watch a fish swim away and ask me “will he make it†I say he has a better chance in the lake than he does the cooler.

Wes...that TR1 is VERY responsive...I think you'll like it!

As far as the fish issue goes...I went out with Stoutner Sunday on his shakedown and I kept 2 browns for the smoker. I held one for a pic and threw it in the box...when we got home 3 hours later it was still alive.

I appreciate Sean's posts and the fact he practices catch and release for the majority of fish caught. Let's not criticize how he goes about that.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I also use the fish-pic on mine boat as well as seans. To be quite honest, we only lost one fish last yr with the fish-pic and it was because of me, I dropped the fish grabbing another rod that went off. Other then that we release over 95% of our fish with no problems. All the big fish that we return gets handle by us and return without death or floating.