Stick Bait Question

Do any of you guys remove the front hook on your stick baits. Most of my sticks have two hooks and front hook will occasionally get caught in the fish as well which causes them to spin and pop off. I was thinking about removing the front hook and leaving the rear. Any thoughts?

I was out with wnyfisherman a few weeks ago out of Olcott and we too had the same problem with the fish spinning or the front hook catching the gill plate so we took off the front hook and it worked fine. Didn't lose any once they were on and didn't seem to miss any strikes because of the front hook beeing taken off.

This is what I do for walleyes in Lake Erie. It's a different fishery but the idea is the same. I remove the front hook of the stick bait and then tie directly to the stick bait. No snap. The whole idea is to enhance the action of the stickbait.

Dennis

Another option is to pinch the hook points in to touch the shank on the front hook. This tends to maintain the original action while eliminating the other problems mentioned.

This works good as does cutting the hook point off below the barb.

Shawn

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png