14 Days and Counting

walleyemagic

since were all "chomping at the bit" to get out there next week i want to suggest giving this post a little boost and if willing we can help each other out and some of the lesser experienced guys will benefit. I know the "eye" fisherman are very secretive however i don't see any harm in posting methods of catching those golden crescent beauty's. After all what has worked in the past isn't often what will work in the future.

for me i seem to do the best on Michigan stinger spoons. modified green dolphin and white icicle colors working the best. we run them on long leads off the riggers 100-150 ft. and off the boards with split shot to get to desired depth. also i have had good success with 45# copper and verry long mono leader. generally i target my presentation within 5' of bottom. As the season moves on and the fish go out toward open water i tend to struggle in this area. also we target salmon more at this time.

in the black river bay i have done well drifting worm rigs as well in early season only. any of you other guys willing to discuss your success would be greatly appreciated

chris

Bombers, Bombers and Bombers, sometimes thundersticks and again Bombers, Different lead lengths off the boards,to target the fish in the top of the water colum, add splits as needed to reach the deeper fish. speed under 2 mph.

Not a troller...

Jigs - tipped (with what? good question what are the eyes eating?) bounce them slowly. Slower the better...

Cranks, colors natural or perch. something that vibrates. size 3inches. Shallow at night deep runners in daytime.

What to look for? sudden change. Depth, Structure, mudline, current, shadow, temperature, etc...

I lower my expectations when the sun is on the water. I get more frustrated when the conditions seem perfect and the fish are not biting where I am casting. If they are not biting where you are fishing - gotta move. Keep moving until you get contact and then fish harder. Walleyes can be challenging but they can also be rewarding. Don't expect to follow routine and repeat success. I am still learning how to fish them successfully everytime - that sums up walleye fishing.

Good luck everybody!!! {countdown ticker is at 8 days 16hrs}

Joe

I actually seem to do very well between 9am and 1pm, usually limiting out no problem, even with high sun.

A post like that makes me want to get up on the bays, however, with a scheduled trip to the Hudson (stripers), 2 birthdays, communion, Mother's day, and the wife leaving on business (kid duty), I can not schedule a trip up there in May. I am already giving up my turkey tags. By the time I get up there it will be time to target bronzebacks. I will be somewhere south of Lake O for the opener, but I am excited just the same.

Some of the best fishing to be had is in aug/sept when everyone else is combat fishing the salmon. We usually go for smallies in July when the eyes are in their major transition, any other time it's game on. It's true though that once you find them you gotta stay on them, one or two weekends off and they can play the disappearing act on ya

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

We generally run thunder sticks, Thunder stick Jrs, Matzuos, bombers, and rapalas. Pretty much anything that

is a deep diver. Leads in the 100'-175' range and planer boards. Depending on the depth of the fish we will run shorter leads to keep the deep diver baits higher in the water column. Colors I always use are silver black, and silver blue always good producers. I don't have a Ship-to-shore but if you see a 23' W/A boat with the name Sea Mist thats me!