One Salmon's movement

While fishing the Olcott Pro-Am, as part of the Rebel Fishing Team, we met Canadian Charter Captain Randy Scott who fishes out of Bowmanville in Ontario. He came on our boat as the spotter for a canadian team.

During the course of conversation, Randy mentioned that he keeps records on every fish caught. He also tags some of the fish he releases

Here is some interesting information on one of the King Salmon Randy caught and tagged. This fish was intially caught off the plant in Bowmanville and then caught again off Devil's Nose by my neighbor Jeff Begey. Fish tag # 0741

Date initially caught: 7/26/07 Time:10:17am

Wind: calm Overcast with drizzel

Trolling Speed:2.5 37' down over 83 fow

East Troll

20' lead on rigger water temp 44 degrees F

Lure: SD White?Crushed Glow White-Hammer Fly 23" lead

Wgt:22 lbs.

Date caught off the Nose: 9/2/07 160 fow

Wind: Light chop

Trolling speed: 2.5 150 out off a dipsey set at #2

North Troll

Water temp 53 degrees F

Lure: Blk/Gr SD- Purple Fly

25lbs 39" long Female This fish gained 3 lbs in just over 6 weeks

The tags are small yellow tube type tags with the tag number and a phone number. The phone number is no longer valid as Randy has moved. If anyone has caught a fish with this type tag I will put you in touch with Randy to compare information.

Where this fish was going is anyone's guess but the inshore migration is interesting.

couple years ago a caught a atlantic with a state tag and the infection around the tag was really nasty,the fish would of died soon,, it would be interesting to know how many times a fish hit lures in its life time and what its favorite spoon was :) ,we got enuf dedicated poeple on this site to help the state or anyone else do surveys,we could of tagged every coho in the lake in the spring out west..

Mark, I do not have any information as far as where the tags were made. I will contact Randy for that information and pass it along to you.

Guys, I can see both sides of the issue of tagging fish. I posted the information as I thought it would be interesting to see data about a fish that was caught at least twice and compare the data.

I really can not see a difference, other than who is doing it, when wire tags are placed in the heads of Steelhead and Lake Trout on a much larger population by our DEC and then we are asked to decapitate the fish,identified by a fin clip, to obtain the wire tag.

We do have many knowledgable fishermen and women who post on this site and this post was just that- a knowledgable fisherman sharing information.

I saw the fish that was caught off Devil's Nose and there was absolutely no damage to the fish. Randy is not just a fly by night guy. He works with many organizations in Canada to help promote the Lake Ontario fishery and is closely involved in the stocking programs of the OMNR.