downrigger speed n temp question

That is a huge difference....either you were trolling 3x to fast or something is wrong.

Hang the ball at rest....read on sonar...get rigger counter and speed temp reading and compare. All should match. But get baseline from sonar for ball reading first.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

That reading is most likely right on the money due to blowback in the cable. The cannon snt gives actual vertical depth in the column below the boat. It reads off of a pressure sensor. I have checked it at rest and the pressure gauges are pretty accurate. Cannon snt is the only unit on the market that gives actual depth. It's a great unit when it works.

That reading is most likely right on the money due to blowback in the cable and the lighter weight on your rigger ball. The cannon snt gives actual vertical depth in the column below the boat. It reads off of a pressure sensor. I have checked it at rest and the pressure gauges are pretty accurate. Cannon snt is the only unit on the market that gives actual depth. It's a great unit when it works.

Adding 15lb sharks will cut the blowback down. This past week I had a 20lb shark out at 135ft to get an actual depth of 111 ft in the column. With the 15lb shark I had to put out 150ft to get to the same depth of 111ft. I had a top speed trolling west of 3.5mph to get 2.4 at the ball. Trolling due east I had 2.6 on top to get 2.4 at the ball and had to raise the riggers 10ft to get back to 111ft in the column.