Suggestions for targeting BOWS only

I am new to the Lake Ontario fishery and would like to concentrate on Rainbows.

Every time I get into fish it's Kings and Lakers.

What type of rigging, etc. would you recommend if for targeting BOWS only.

Thanks,

Trout Bum

Fish higher... these fish tend to relax in 54-55 degree water.. generally speaking.. fish a spoon with a lot of action and don't be afraid to fish fast for them... my top choice of spoons would be DW SS bloody death and orange gangster. Or Michigan stinger steelie stomper.. find the temperature and bait and I bet you will hit some steel.. maybe even a coho..

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Assuming I will be using the mentioned spoons and color combos for Bows, what would you suggest for getting to the correct depth;

Rigger, Dipsy, weights,etc.?

Would you run just the spoons or put a flasher or ?? in front of?

Thanks,

Trout Bum

If you want steelies only, run your dipseys with the color spoons that have been suggested above. Run your riggers high with longer leads, and we used to run a silver with red tip j-plug down the chute. Mag Diehard has been a hot steelie producer for us on dipseys out 125- 200 with wire.

Assuming I will be using the mentioned spoons and color combos for Bows, what would you suggest for getting to the correct depth;

Rigger, Dipsy, weights,etc.?

Would you run just the spoons or put a flasher or ?? in front of?

Thanks,

Trout Bum

id say 25-60 feet of water

all of the above, riggers, divers on 2.5-3.5, plus, leadcores, steelhead are typically in the part of the water column that are easily targetable by 2 color to 10 color cores. Don't be afraid to run short leads on your riggers, 5-6 feet. Steelhead are aggressive fish. There's nothing like a steelie hitting a short lead on a rigger 50-60 feet down that comes rocketing right to the surface so fast you have a fish jumping 3-4 feet out of the water, 20 feet behind the boat and you don't know which rod it's on because it came up so fast the rod hasn't stood up yet.

straight spoons, no need for a flasher in front of it, though steelies will hit flasher fly combos, spoon feeding steelies is more fun.

Tim

If you want to target them you need 2 things:

58 degree water

bait in 58 degree water

If you want all bows follow Tim's advice ( important point -- especially if you are getting LTs but want RTs) and don't be afraid to kick up the speed. Target the 58 degree water with all the methods mentioned above to maximize your productivity. Use the GPS and circle the bait!!

My favorite: Moonshine Geezer on the side rigger 8' lead set 10' above the rigger running in 54 degree water.

all of the above, riggers, divers on 2.5-3.5, plus, leadcores, steelhead are typically in the part of the water column that are easily targetable by 2 color to 10 color cores. Don't be afraid to run short leads on your riggers, 5-6 feet. Steelhead are aggressive fish. There's nothing like a steelie hitting a short lead on a rigger 50-60 feet down that comes rocketing right to the surface so fast you have a fish jumping 3-4 feet out of the water, 20 feet behind the boat and you don't know which rod it's on because it came up so fast the rod hasn't stood up yet.

straight spoons, no need for a flasher in front of it, though steelies will hit flasher fly combos, spoon feeding steelies is more fun.

Tim

That is an awesome experience when they do that, especially when it is a 10 pounder or better. That happens all of the time with them, too!! I have also slammed them off the trolling boards right on the surface with orange Michigan stingers. Pretty fun when they hit the surface spoons too, because they instantly fly out of the water then as well, and the rod that has been released from the boards is the live wire! Experiment around, but they are not very hard to to get to bite, that is for sure. Sometimes getting them to stay hooked up is another matter!LOL:yes: :yes::)