smallmouth bear creek to hughes

john1947

Hi,

I fished lately anywhere from 15 to forty foot.Look for baitschools and youll find alot of smallies.It takes awhile to locate them but the effort pays off. Nightcrawlers fished 2 ft off the bottom.I also use a camera when I find the schools.

Realy suprised more people arnt fishing for them.

Caught some nice perch also shallow.

Rite-on!! Most folks complain about gobies, cormorants and strange diseases or any other excuses as to why they are not as easy to catch as they used to be, at least on the south shore of the Big O. But they ARE still there. There is something to be said about the gobies though. They often do get to the baits before the smallies do. But! The smallmouth bass and many other fish are getting fatter on the gobies....

John I trolled in front of Hughes last week for Smallies in 20 to 25fow with zero Success... I messed around for an hour... I did a sweet 4lb Smallie last year jigging and I love that fight....... Woody

Fished wednsday with some sucess.Caught a few in 20 ft.then i moved out to thirty and thirty five feet I found a large school surounded by bait schools and action was great.Had to leave shortly after I found the spot.I went back later and the bait had spread out alot and the schools of bass had disapaited .Caught some nice size in close 20 ft. just before dark.

Look for the birds and youll find the bait and bass.

I used nightcrawlers about two feet up from a drop sinker.

• 2 weeks later...

twenty to twentyfive feet tonight and they were all lunkers.Caught them on nightcrawlers,This was the best night in awhile.was another boat out there with me ,not sure how they did..

Nightcrawlers? They work well with the biggies in the bays and by the piers and jettys, like at Sodus Pt. Niiice! And no gobies?? Great, if not or very few. This is what many of the smallie guys want and have sort of given up on in the last few seasons or so....

Nightcrawlers? They work well with the biggies in the bays and by the piers and jettys, like at Sodus Pt. Niiice! And no gobies?? Great, if not or very few. This is what many of the smallie guys want and have sort of given up on in the last few seasons or so....

The trick with worms or crabs is to never let them get close to the bottom.Sometimes ill catch a goby if there are boulders or large rocks that cause the bottom to come closer to the bait.

There is a freiend of mine who has caught alot of bass on a fly rod in closer ,so bait is not the only solution.

good fishing