Kind of a dumb newbe question

Ok, so here goes, please keep the laughter to a minimum..... :lol:

I'm not new to boats or being on the water, I've owned a few boats from 14' to 18'. We bought this boat last year and have had it out maybe 6 or 7 times now. Its a Bayliner Trophy 22' cuddy(not a walk a round), its a PIG, I mean heavy as heck! And docking it is giving me fits, I mean white knuckled, knee shacking, HAVOC! All my other boats were a sinch to dock, this wahle, not so much. :$

Any advice on making my docking experiences a little less hecktic would be greatly appreciated. :$

well, I can try to explain, but I can say that its easier to show one, and walk them through it..

When you come into the dock.. well what year trophy? Volvo? MErc? ... You can work your shifter... I see alot of people that have a tendency to just drive in fast and hope their mates catch them.. Use your gears and steering. I like to come in with my bow toards the dock I am coming to, just a tad bit, and when I get the nose where she is close, I steer the outdrive towards the dock and shift to reverse, easy not hard. Just ease it in and out once or twice, she will come over ever so gentle and youre home..

Everyone does something different..

Were you at the launch today on seneca in watkins? The spiffy brandy new trophy?!?! :clap:

Nah, I wish it was new, its an 87 and its an outboard. Its a work in progress and we love it, the thing fishes like a champ and jumps on and off the trailer....really no kidding. We launched out of Severne again today, and with the waves it was hair raising docking.

As far as working the gears, thats pretty much how I do it, maybe its just me being used to lighter more nimble boats. I guess practice, practice....and more practice. :$

first thing is first.. DOn't ever panic.. I know sounds corny but really.. Being I slip my boat next to a gas dock, I see peopel with 16 footers to 46 footers and when someone panics its the worst outcome... Just stay calm, and you will stay in control.. You got this :yes:;)

Like Nick said - "REMAIN CALM - NERIOUS OPERATORS PANIC" The best advise is as slow as possible - out boards at like IO's - very easy to dock - your brake is reverse - when is reverse, spin the wheel in the oposite direction to pull your back to the dock and when going forward spin the wheel the opposite direction to push it toward the dock - but the key is dead slow and under control - wind will always be an issue and you have to adjust eveything for the wind strength - not fun - but if you do EVERYTHING as slow as possible you will always be safer than trying to go in too fast - RAMMING SPEED DOES DAMAGE. The heavier boats carry the speed - get control well before making any manuvers - even stop the boat - then start your turns and line up slowly - then go straight - then disingauge or even go reverse but do everything slow speed.

good luck and with time you'll get it

out boards at like IO's - very easy to dock - your brake is reverse - when is reverse, spin the wheel in the oposite direction to pull your back to the dock and when going forward spin the wheel the opposite direction to push it toward the dock - but the key is dead slow and under control - wind will always be an issue and you have to adjust eveything for the wind strength - not fun - but if you do EVERYTHING as slow as possible you will always be safer than trying to go in too fast - RAMMING SPEED DOES DAMAGE. The heavier boats carry the speed - get control well before making any manuvers - even stop the boat - then start your turns and line up slowly - then go straight - then disingauge or even go reverse but do everything slow speed.

good luck and with time you'll get it

:yes:

Hey thanks for the advice guys, It just sounds like I need good old fashioned practice.

See you guys on the water! :yes::beer:

BTW, You went by us last weekend Paul, up near long point, we are the boat with the new blue convertable top.

Indian,

An idea....if you want to practice under low-stress conditions, why not find a buoy or some other stationary object, and practice pulling alongside it? That way you're not dealing with launch traffic. Be mindful of where the buoy's anchor line is so you won't wind it around the prop. I used to have trailer-backing anxiety, especially on busy days. Eventually I got used to it.

Pete Collin

This may sound stupid, but take a boat bumper or some kind of float, throw it out in open water on a calm day and practice stopping along side of it to learn the boats manuvering abilities. :yes:

Or just to get close enough to get your bumper back!!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

well with the wind as you say their ant no easy way.....did ya ever notice birds and planes take off and land into the wind?? boats are the same circle so ya can get yer nose in the wind and make a 45 deg approach at the right time turn yer wheel and gently slide to the side of the dock...or as Musky says "prepare to RAM"...every boat has different handling due to weight and steering system so if ya can get a "experenced "boater to make it look easy to ya :lol: a few times you can see what im talking about :o ... then try to imatate , each docking situation has its challanges..

A slow steady Approch will always always end up with better results than "forcing the issue" and as embarrasing as it might be if it dont feel right back out and retry again with a clean approach...dont back away 1/2 way and try to correct it usually gets worse and the sweat and nerves start to form.......Youll get it sooner than ya think....