Here is what happened to some salmon that was caught 7/10

I usually make my own brine bath for the salmon but I was pressed for time and used a prepared brine mix from Cabelas. I have to say it was very good and so simple to prepare. Just one gallon fresh cold water and the package disolved in it in a plastic deep dish. Fillets were soaked about 12 hours and ready for smoker.

The other part of the recipe was also a seasoning mix from Cabelas called Salmon Rub. A very robust mixture of spices that are good on the barby or the smoker.

After letting the fillets dry the pellicle, I shook on a generous amount of the rub on the top side of the fish. And began the smoke process with preheating the side fire box and grill with Kingsford briquets alone, to 180 degrees, adding the filets with no smoke for 30 minutes. Then began adding smoke from cherry wood chunks. Maintained the temp at180 to 200 for 4 hours with smoke and then raised the final temp to 220 for 30 minutes, and let fire cool gradually for 1 more hour.

Ingredients

Hi mountain, Alaskan Salmon Brine Mix with Maple flavor

1 gallon Poland Spring water 36 degrees

King salmon fillets refrigerated not frozen...FRESH, same day caught

Cabelas Salmon Rub Seasoning...generous shaking onto one side.

Total time in brine ...12 hrs @ 36 degrees

Total time in smoker....6 hrs @ 180 to 220 degrees

This is very good for those times you are in a bind for time or don't have the spice ingredients in the pantry. We all know how much spices cost these days too, and this is very economical

IMAG1203.jpg

picture hosting

Starting it up

IMAG1204.jpg

photo hosting

The side fire box going.

IMAG1205.jpg

upload images

2 hrs 15 minutes into the smoke...still going more, getting good color

IMAG1207.jpg

picture hosting

Enjoying the final product on the road...better snack than chips while staying awake on the road.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• Like 1

Let's see :thinking: ......stop at clifton springs plaza, meet Tom coming up along rte 96 he hops over the fence gets some smoked salmon....stop in westmoreland plaza...Bob hops over the fence gets some smoked salmon. Hope I get there before too long, but first I gotta go.to Atlanta, then to Augusta, back to Menomonee Falls, WI.....hmmmm, not sure when this will happen but....:wait: ...CHER!...HEY LEAVE SOME FOR ME ....I MEAN Tom and Bob :mmm:

• 1 month later...

Sure is!..and I just had steelhead and steak done on the charcoal two nights ago. This is a great grill if anyone is looking for a combo unit. It's not compact but can do a lot of food and is actually a very easy smoker to use. I like it better than my electric big chief cabinet.....and what better excuse to play with fire too! Thankyou!

Mark

• 7 months later...