Seneca 9/9 - 9/13

9/9 - Made an early morning drive through the fog to get a half-day troll in. Fished the south 1/3 of the lake, starting on the western shore and working out into the middle. Got a few short salmon and then a nice 4 lb bow off the lead core that saved the day.

9/12 - Went out for an evening troll that was pretty slow but got a few salmon including a nice keeper.

9/13 - Got out in the morning and headed to the southend where I found sparse weeds. Trolled along the south side marking fish and bait intermittently in the 40-60ft zone and starting picking away at fish along the west side up near the tikki bar. Made a few loops through this area and got at least a release each time. Ended up with 5 salmon and 2 browns. Bite was off the lead core (10 colors with snap weight) and riggers down 55ft. Orange and green were the hot colors by far.

P1000872.jpg

Beautiful Seneca Sunrise burning off the fog

P1000868.jpg

Early morning rainbow over the salt point.

P1000876.jpg

Hard fighting bow saves the day

P1000878.jpg

Headed for the grill

panfisher - I would def. say its a LL on top and Brown on the bottom.

Yes, bigger mouth, lower on the side spots and, well, I guess that IS a "square" tail as opposed to a forked one...= brown trout. Thanks.... my eyes are not deceiving me :) ....Good show, nice catch,,,,,and good eats :yes: !

BrookTrout....A couple of seasons ago out on the Big O, we caught a very nice 15#+ Atlantic while in the summer LOC derby. We thought for sure we had a BIG MONEY brown, as the fish was not silver like the landlocks in the fingers. The tail, when compared to other browns and other salmonids in the box (good Lake O mixed bag of kings, cohoes, browns, steelies, lakers, and a WAY out of place large smallmouth), was not decidedly forked. It really did look like a brown. but we were unsure, as we kept going back over it right down to the time we went to Mitchell's in Charlotte to weigh in the MONEY fish (hopefully!). Alas, of course, with several others around, it was deemed to be an Atlantic. The smaller head and mouth size is what made the decision. An absolutely beauteous fish that confirmed all of the good work that New York and Ontario have put in down the years in re-establishing this fish back towards its original place in the lake. With some reports of 20+ pounders being landed, it looks as if that part of the fishery is on the way up....if we can keep the silver and bighead carp from invading!