trolling motor ? 9.9 or 15

theminnow

i have a 19 fisher spectrum pro avenger boat 4.3 inboard/outboard! and a mercury 5 hp 4 cycle as a troling motor!!! on the ruff days trolling with the waves is fine but when i try to come into the wind the 5 hp isnt enough to make a turn and go into the waves! i was looking into a 2004 15 hp honda 4 stroke 20 inch shaft, or a 2004 9.9 hp 4 stroke 25 inch extralong shaft! sometimes the trolling motor comes slightly outta the water on ruff days and the boat sort of stops until it goes back down in the water! i know most of you guys have bigger boats and this doesnt happen to you but im interested what you guys think! thank you for any help on this matter!

Long shaft, go with a high thrust version. The over sized prop makes a huge difference. 9.9 high thrust Yamaha pushes my 23 ft fiberglass boat in the worst winds

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

The 9.9 Honda long shaft, high thrust pushes my 27 foot Eastern inboard 5-6 MPH, wide open, and trolls real well at 2-2.5 mph. Wished I bought the 15 HP... essentially the same motor with bigger carb. Honda is pricey but a real fine motor. A little cold blooded on start up, maybe.

so 9.9 with a high thrust prop will be the ticket! the motor has a 4 blade prop on it in the picture! is 4 blade mean high thrust? 3 blade is regular thrust? or is the motor completely different? O and if it was used in saltwater does that mean anything? like should i stay away from it because of the salt water and let the deal pass? the guy said it was used a few times in saltwater and that he flushed it after he used it but do i believe him? or in saltwater it dont hurt them?