lenght of leash from ball to release

disregard the blacks kool aid drinkers :)

The longer the better IMO. I like the Scottys with the 30" tether. If a fish even breathes on your lure it is telegraphed to the rod tip.

Tim

Same here,but the sensitivity becomes less as you fish deeper and you cannot load up the rod as much as you can with a black.

Tim forgot to mention "Scotty downriggers" are the only ones that work....make shure ya get the model with the "pull cord"..

If you can outsmart your release the blacks are good, If yer mechanicly challenged go with the scotty pinch type..

PS. he thinks the Buffalo Bills are the best football team ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So keep this in mind when reading his post!!!!

I also prefer the scotty 30 in. when running stacked rods. The long reach enables me to attach the stacked rod without leaning way out over the boat's side when the rigger is at 45 degrees. After clipping the top line to the release, I swing the rigger back out and lower the ball. I use a klincher release for the down rod. Best of both worlds.

Tim forgot to mention "Scotty downriggers" are the only ones that work....make shure ya get the model with the "pull cord"..

If you can outsmart your release the blacks are good, If yer mechanicly challenged go with the scotty pinch type..

PS. he thinks the Buffalo Bills are the best football team ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So keep this in mind when reading his post!!!!

So Ray, what does black kool aid taste like, kind of like black water? :rofl:

The releases I'm going to go with are the scotty power grips. They have a 18" lead or a 60" lead. what does the longer lead do?

60 in lead is way to much.

Go with the 18" and you will be fine.

Scottys work great after a little experimentation on how far in to bury the line in the jaws.

The best place will change with different line diameters.

You can use the black line on the jaws as a reference point.

Good luck.

Glen

I would think that when you crank down the tethered releases would get pulled straight up and down?

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

It does, but because of that, any pull from the lure end is clearly telegraphed to the rod, even the smallest shakers are easily seen. That is precisely why I like the longer tether.