Keuka 10/24

Big thanks to guff for bringing me out on Wednesday. It was a ton of fun and a great day to get back on Keuka after several years off. Thank you so much and it was all around a fantastic day. :yes: Where to start, well, how about in the beginning. When I left my house the overcast conditions and fog had me a bit worried the bite would be slow today. It wasn't.

I met guff at KLSP at 8:30, and after launching and scoping out a few areas we started fishing around 9:30 in 100 FOW near the bluff. During the course of the day we caught fish from 85-125 FOW or so, mostly in the 95-110 range but I wasn't paying real close attention. We also saw fish out deeper but didn't target them. Winds were barely there to nonexistent. A brief rain shower came through but mostly there was just fog on the hills.

A few trollers, one or two boats fishing shallow, and we thought we saw jiggers in the distance in a couple spots. Some sun would have been nice to bring out the colors but instead we had cool clouds on the lake and hills. A quiet, muffled, dark day that made all the subsurface activity all the more surprising.

DSCN3375.jpg

To get to the catching bit, we averaged one laker every 7.03 minutes for 7.5 hrs- a total of 64 lakers! :o One heck of a day and a daily best for his boat. I also set a PB for lakers by far. I managed to use just one lure all day and have already retired it for a job well done. The bite was steady throughout the day as we drifted in and out of fish pods regularly. There was even some decent bait schools which guff says is unusual to see, and the fish were often spitting up aelwives as we reeled them in. What a blast! A few doubles, some good sized fish, a few dinks, and a lot of perfect eating sized Keuka Lake specials. Guff releasing a nice fish:

DSCN3378.jpg

As evening closed in the fog descended on the lake somewhat. Driving home it was patchy but very thick in spots especially in the high country between Penn Yan and Watkins. It was a great trip and badly needed after not fishing for a month. Heading in:

DSCN3383.jpg

Swwweeeeeet!! From the pics and your description, looked like THE PERFECT DAY to be out there. Little to no wind and clouded out....nice! No wonder the fish were happy to engage. Probably would have been a good day to target any kind of fish. Again, nice report..64 lakers..? Awesome :yes::yes: !!

Hey all it sure was fun, never seen anything like it. Like panfisher said it was the perfect day, everything came together. Never seen the bite hold up all day like that before. It was more the fish than anything we did. Thank you fishing gods!

Nice job Nice report !!! You can have some awesome days on Keuka all year long if you dont mind catching the 2-3 pounders all day long .... It has a great Lake trout fishery.... Heres a video from earlier this year I belive we ended up 56 for 59 !!!! What a day !!!

Mike