I/O power steering-VS- manual steering help

big easy

I could use some advice from those of you with I/O's that have had experience with both power and manual steered outdrives.

Currently,i'm running a 305 230hp with a Cobra outdrive and power steering.

I'm in the process of installing a 350 260hp with alpha drive in my new(to me)project boat.

It is equipped with power steering.

I'm also going to run a 8hp Yammie kicker on it.

Currently,the problem is, when i shut off the big engine,and troll with the kicker,it's a bear to steer,because the power steering is off.

(kicker connected to drive with an EZ-Steer)

I was thinking of maybe converting it to manual steering,if it would make steering the kicker a lot easier.

I would also like to run an auto pilot,but all the companies i spoke to said that their pilots wouldn't work if the engine was off,and the power steer disabled.

Am i crazy even thinking about going to manual steer?I've never had a manually steered outdrive,so i don't have any idea how hard they are to steer.

Are they very hard to steer,and how are they in docking situations?

Is there a better way of steering a kicker easily?.I thought about those remotely steered mounts,but i think you would have to constantly oversteer each way,if the kicker wasn't connected to the outdrive.

I think the out drive acts as a rudder when it's down,and connected to the kicker,making it easier to keep a steady course,as both kicker and outdrive turn together.

Also thought about the nautimatic kicker auto pilot,but it's a lot of money to steer a kicker.I'd rather an auto pilot that runs of the I/O.

(I should add,that i know absolutely nothing about autopilots except from what the tech guys at the factories told me.)

Any opinions or info af any kind would be appreciated very much.

Thanks all

Dear Big Easy,

Congrats on doing a project boat. Requires a lot of mech. skills and saves a ton of money when it comes time for "repairs"!

Running a trolling motor steering off your Mercruiser steering results in a dramatic increase in steering effort unless the main engine is running and providing power steering. Most "drivers" will quickly fade from this painfull chore especially on windy days or in high boat traffic.

However, a carefull engineering exam. and redesign of the mech. arm connection can reduce the effort required at the cost of reduced steerage motion. This type of bandaid may work for you.

Hydraulic steering helms such as Seastar 1 or 2 would reduce your arm effort but are very pricey ($800 & UP!)

In this day of expensive gasoline, trolling is getting very pricey. I have run these Yamaha and Honda motors (9.9 HP)and have been astonished at the very low fuel consumption in the trolling mode. Unfortunately my use of electronics and electric riggers killed my batteries! I have opted for the use of the big motor to run all my gear!

And yes, the price of these wonderfull trolling motors exceeds my annual budget for health care!!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

This doesnt really answer your question. But a buddy of mine has a 27ft sportcraft and he mounted a 2nd steering wheel for the kicker just below the main steering wheel. It takes a lot of figureing and work for the inital installation but it is a definate solution. It will work when you are done.

There seems to be a lot of "science" to get these boats to go straight and not wear out your arm when under power. I now have a manual steered out board that has anti feedback. I have no idea how it works. But it works.

With gas going crazy like it is . Its easy to justify a good kicker installation.One that works and is easy to operate.I could not afford to fish if it wasnt for my kicker.

I have a 305 I/O with an easy-steer connected to a 9.9 four stroke mounted off a swim platform. I agree in heavy seas....steering is tough. Not sure you are going to notice much difference in the 350. Make sure you read the fine print and talk to knowledgable people before you convert. Done wrong your block will be the next thing to replace.....$3,000.00. I like the idea of an independant steering wheel for the kicker but have no experience. This year I am running beefy trolling bags with the main motor when going against the waves, because of the loss of control when using the trolling motor. Cheaper alternative.

Just to keep the post going Ive got a interesting steering set up that I had seen once.

I think it was on a Robaldo boat but I could be wrong. Anyway it was air steer. It was comprised of a couple air cylinders hooked to the motor ,a storage air tank.and the steering wheel was a valve that moved air from one cylinder to another to turn the motor. The air was always trapped in the system .

When I was looking at the boat I noticed a airchuck, like one on a tire ,Mounted to the back of the boat. I asked the owner what it was and he explained the air systen to me. Said he never had to add any air to it since he owned it.

Thanks all for the info,keep it coming.

Gill,I also have a yamaha kicker tied to my outdrive with an EZ-Steer on my current boat, (21'Trophy), thats the one with a 305 in it,and thats the one thats hard to steer when the main engine is off.

The 350 is going in my new restoration 23 Seacraft,and will have a 8hp Yamaha kicker,and thats the boat that i would like to be able to steer the kicker easier on.

The engine(350) and drive that i'm putting in this boat have power steering, like my Trophy, so i thought that if i deleted the power steering altogether, it would be easier to steer, as i wouldn't be fighting the power steering when the main engine is off.

The disadvantage would be as mentioned, that it may be more difficult to steer when under power.

Stix, Hmm'h air cylinders huh' sounds interesting. As your other reply mentioned, I thought about the seperate steering wheel for the kicker, but using a lever, instead of a wheel, but again, as mentioned in a previous reply, i think the turning capability would be affected if the outdrive does not also turn.

Maybe there's no real answer or easy solution to this problem. I may just have to go thru the rest of my life like a half of popeye, with only one arm real big. I'll just eat a lot of spinach.

Cabela's has a an electric steering control used to steer an O/B trolling motor. A 2 way switch on an extension cord moves the engine in the direction you want. A PWT walleye pro had one on his boat and he handled the boat OK.