Motor Mount/Trim Question

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I have an interesting mod. I need to make to my boat. For the longest time it pulled hard to the right, even though the adjustment fin was set as far as it could go in the opposite direction. Finally figured that the trim was too far down. It has power trim, and when i raise the motor, it tracks properly. Eventually the forward force of the motor will push the piston in and it will be too far down again, pulling right.

Like all motors, I have a rod that acts as a stop on the motor mount to set the maximum the trim can be lowered. However, even with the rod in its highest pair of holes, the trim is too far down. This baffled me for the longest time.

I finally figured out the the motor mount is intended for a boat whose transom is plumb vertical. My transom tilts rearward slightly. So that keeps me from setting the stop high enough.

Is there some easy modification i can make to set the trim properly?

Pete Collin

www.pcforestry.com

" Eventually the forward force of the motor will push the piston in and it will be too far down again, pulling right."

This should not happen unless your T&T is leaking oil or the seals in the pump or pistons allow the oil to stream back. My first suspect is the right hand piston.

It sounds like there is something weird going on.

Can you make a picture of your engine and the transom and post it?

I think the piston moving "in" after you've made adjustment may suggest that rolmops is right- faulty piston, seal, or fluid level. If it turns out that it is in fact something to do with the mount itself perhaps a "shim" of some sort might help orient it vertically.

Hi Steve, How have you been? Did you have a good fishing season?

The power trim raises and lowers, so I never tried to fiddle with it. I really don't know anything about hydraulic systems. Just thought my problem could be solved with a shim of some kind. Will have to fiddle with it some.

Thanks for the comment guys.

Pete