Anyone tried Blood Run 30# copper/leadcore backing?

Is it better than comparable to power pro? It sure is cheaper!

I believe your comparing apples to oranges. 2 different products. Braid and mono. Blood Run and Power Pro both offer a braided line that is used alot for backing. Great choice for long coppers and cores.

Blood Runs "copper/leadcore backing" product is a 30# Hi Vis mono with a flouro coating. The coating helps with abrasion protection from day to day abuse and offers uv protection unlike using standard mono as backing. Great choice for short coppers or cores

What is your application?

You're right Rob, I was talking about the coated mono. So you think it is tough enough for leadcore and up to say a 450 copper? I really don't have much interest in running coppers much longer than that. Also, does anyone ever split a copper? For example, putting 10-20 ft of mono at the 300 mark of a 450 copper to in effect get 2 rigs out of one rod. Or is that basically tackle suicide?? :devil: I am on a limited budget (like everyone else ;( ) so the more i can do with less the better.

Guys,

Blood Run is coming to the LOTSA Expo in February and will be able to answer any questions. They tell me that they will also have some pretty killer show specials on their products, so if you're looking to try some of their stuff and are coming to the show, you might want to hold off and get it there.

Tim

You're right Rob, I was talking about the coated mono. So you think it is tough enough for leadcore and up to say a 450 copper? I really don't have much interest in running coppers much longer than that. Also, does anyone ever split a copper? For example, putting 10-20 ft of mono at the 300 mark of a 450 copper to in effect get 2 rigs out of one rod. Or is that basically tackle suicide?? :devil: I am on a limited budget (like everyone else ;( ) so the more i can do with less the better.

For leadcore and short coppers I would say yes. :yes: The issue with mono is the amount you can put on a reel vs. braid for backing. For long coppers 300'+ i would suggest nothing less than 50# braid.

No need to "split" your copper. Best thing to do to get more use out of a long copper (like a 450) is to mark it every 100' or even 50' (w/ spray paint). It will give you a chance to run it as a 200, 300, etc.

I was under the impression that if I wanted to run the coppers off the boards it was a bad idea to hook the releases to the copper itself? As they would wear on the copper and cause it to break. I agree and understand the spray painting distances for running it down the chute, but didn't think it was a good idea do run it off the board without attaching the board to the backing.

My 450' coppers get punished quite a bit by using them as 350' or 400' coppers. When i have coppers out on big boards, my releases never see anything but actual copper in them. I think guys baby their coppers a little too much at time. If you see a "bad" spot or a strand breaks just simply cut it back and splice it back together with a haywire twist. And I will tell you if you find yourself consistantly running 300' of your 450' copper then its time to invest in a 300' copper.

Good to hear. I have a 300 spool that will be put on before spring. My next one will probably be a 500 if the copper can hold up to the releases. I definitely like the flexibility on one rod. Will 500 fit on a size 45 Okuma or would you suggest something bigger?

Thx for all the info,

DJ