21st Annual Ithaca Fishing Day - March 16 2013

21st Annual Ithaca Fishing Day

The Leon Chandler Chapter of Trout Unlimited is sponsoring Ithaca Fishing Day and we have expanded our focus beyond just fly-fishing to encompass all aspects of fishing and cold water conservation. The date for the 21st Annual Ithaca Fishing Day is Saturday, March 16, 2013 from 9 am to 4 pm. Once again, the event will be held at the Boynton Middle School in Ithaca, New York.

Ithaca Fishing Day a unique event inviting the community to come and experience a day of fishing and cold water environmental education. This event is free to the public and all proceeds raised benefit the youth environmental education activities of our local Trout Unlimited Chapter, including our exciting Trout in the Classroom program currently in fourteen local elementary, middle and high schools.

While the event continues to offer a special focus on fly-fishing directed at young people it is also of interest to anyone wanting to learn more about the sport of fishing and the local cold water environment. Lectures and programs are planned throughout the day. As always, we will feature other programs on a variety topics, free fly-casting and fly-tying instruction, as well as opportunities to learn fishing and fly tying tips from regional experts.

A variety of vendors will be on hand with a wide assortment of their goods available for sale. This includes: Badger Creek Fly Fishing, Cortland Line, D&D Baits and Tackle, Ithaca Rod Company, JW Trout, Mad River Tackle and Dubbing Company, North East Fly Fishing. Finally, our special exhibitors include: The Cayuga Lake Floating Classroom Program, Trout in the Classroom Program, Cayuga Nature Center, Cornell Chapter of the American Fisheries Society, local deep water experts Alec Johnston and Wes Jordan, Phil Koonz and his insect tank, Starbucks Coffee, Cortland Field Archers-Izaak Walton League; the Twin Tiers Five Rivers Chapter of the FFF, and more.

Edited by Fall Creeker

I'm looking forward to this; it'll be the first time I've done a table anywhere, it will be fun.  I learned a lot (and still do) from some of you and other anglers, and am always happy to return the favor. 

I'll have lake trout jigs and Lunker City soft plastics for sale.  I'll post more info on my website (http://cayugafisher.net) about what I'll have available in a week or so.  My workspace is unheated so it partly depends on the weather beforehand.

I'm also going to bring some example gear and will have a jigging info sheet for those just getting into it. Questions and bs-ing are very welcome, it's been a long winter!   Thanks everyone,

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Get off rt 13 Ithaca at Stewart park at bottom of hill. Take a right at end of ramp from which ever direction coming from. One more right if going south. Boynton will be right in front of you on Cayuga st.. close to exits.

If you are new to trolling or jigging on the finger lakes come down to this show. Between myself, Splitshot and Hermit we should be able to answer your questions. Many fly fishing boths as well. This event is for a good cause and I hope to see you on Saturday! Wes Foley