Cayuga 4/8

Good morning, rotten afternoon.  Pulled away from the dock at Treman at 7:00.  Cloudy, water temps 39-43.  Calmer than I like for fishing the top.  Fishing was slow.  Sun came out ~9:30.  Picked up a maybe legal salmon around 10:00.  Hooray, not skunked! :yes: Temps were on their way up, saw 44.5 by the time I left.  11:15 got a ~5 lb laker down 10 over 30.  That was it, still a fantastic first trip it felt great to be out.  Spent a while down on the shelf and mid-morning also went up the east side to Bolton Point. Temps up that way were slowly dropping but still 42+.  Ran sticks and spoons, both fish on silver sticks.  A ripple was starting by the time I left but it was flat calm all morning.

Back at the ramp a little after 12.  This is where it sucked.  Loaded boat, popped parking brake and step on brake as I put it in drive to pull out.  Brake goes to floor. :no: I'm blowing air and fluid all over the place, brakes are gone.  Call AAA, they take the truck.  Call GF, she brings a set of Masterlocks and I lock motor and trailer hitch, unpack boat, leave it there.  My mechanic tells me a new set of lines is an all-day 800-900 dollar job!  Ouch.  Go to U-haul, rent truck, bring boat home, return truck, etc etc.   There goes the afternoon.  I'm just glad it happened in the parking lot and not on one of the hills on the way home!

Edited by hermit

fish-on, thanks I appreciate that and will keep it in mind. Same for you or anyone else. Thought about posting a plea for help on here but the truck from uhaul was available and just over 30 bucks including the mileage.   Seemed fast and easy.  Thanks again.

jusgrinnin I should have it back thurs or fri so we're okay for next week, hope the fish cooperate.  Thought today might be a little better with the rising temps but maybe the wind yesterday scattered them or it could always have been what I was doing.  Handful of boats out there today.

Edited by hermit

Hermit-

Sorry for your afternoon hassles. 

Year's ago I had a parking brake slip at that same launch.  Not to worry the truck did not go into the drink, the driverside door caught the dock piling and turned into an accordian - really sucked.

You have my number as well if you need assistance.

Alec you could have called me as well. That stinks about the truck. I had a brake line blow in Marathon during the Maple fest. Just so happened this women strolled right into Rt 11 without looking, I put the brake on and it went to the floor. I was pumping brake pedal and jumping on E-brake at the same time. I got it stopped in time but my heart was pounding. When that happens it's just good that  we were  going slow!  Wes

• 1 year later...

SO... this topic is now over a year old but I can add to the story.

Yesterday, I finally get a chance to get the boat wet this year.  A good month after I wanted, but hey that's how it goes sometimes.   Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon after the foggy damp morning. :yes:

Anyway... I back the boat in, put it in park and step on the parking brake.  Feel something pop and the pedal is stuck to the floor.  Okay I blew my parking brake, could be worse.  NOPE!  All brakes are gone... again!  Launch the boat and proceed to float around with a couple of friends for a few hours in the south end.  (There was no fishing involved.)  Get back and deal with the truck.

So it's pretty much the same story as this original post... first trip of the year, blow out brakes at the ramp!   I called U-Haul to rent a truck, got AAA to take mine to the shop.  I had to use a box truck for pulling the boat out but I spent a few years driving one so that was fine.    The ONLY two times I've ever blown my brakes, sheesh!  Maybe next year I'll start by launching somewhere else, ha.   Thought you guys might get a kick out of this story.

Oh and I've never owned a vehicle where the parking brake is tied to the regular brakes... my last 5 trucks were all independent systems.  This doesn't seem like the best way of doing it- lose one lose them all?  What if you're at speed, there's not many options.   Hey anyone want to buy a truck?   :lol:

Edited by hermit