RUFF RIDER Hudson River live report - Apr 28

Goodbye winter! First trip of the year, Hudson River striped bass. Launched out of Newburgh NY, boat started right up and seems to be running well.

2013-04-28_07-26-43_460.jpg

Blood worms were hard to find, limit of a dozen per person at Vinnys. The new herring laws are putting a squeeze on the other baits.

Nick

If you've never fished the hudson during the annual striper run, you should give it a try! The fish finder can be downright cruel though as hundreds of not hungry fish pass under the boat... but when they turn on... oh baby! Best weeks are normally the last two in May, so you still have time to plan a trip!

2013-04-28_07-41-33_22.jpg

Yes a lot of people troll using giant rapalas, fake eels, and even some spoons. Ive tried it, there's a lot of junk in the river thoufh and I found myself constantly needing to clear weeds, sticks, garbage, bodies, etc... Also, you need to keep a sharp eye on depth as the river is very shallow in areas. For me, I find drifting a nice change...

Man...those little guys look like bait for the ones we get on Cape Cod.....it is great to see they have made such a wonderful come back from the days when they had to be at least 40 inches to keep. They are great fish and the big ones fight similar to king salmon...and best of all they are great on the grill :)  Sand eels are usually the ticket on the Cape fishing the rip tides

Its great getting out though isn't it after that long winter? Nice pics too. Good luck getting those stripers....makes me wish I was closer to the salt water fishery....the terrain in the pics :)  looks familiar though my daughter used to go to school at New Paltz

Edited by Sk8man