Radio Issues.

baytech05

I am kind of new to the VHF Radio scene but thought it would be a good idea to have one on my 17ft Alumacraft for emergency purposes. I typically launch out of Oswego so this past weekend I gave the radio a test run, but the transmission is cutting in and out. I was on channel 68 but I could only hear bits and pieces of what people were saying. The weather stations come in clear as can be but like I said everything else is all cut up.

I have a Uniden Oceanus radio with a small 3’ antenna.

Does anybody have any trouble shooting ideas that I can go through to try and figure out if something is wrong? I live roughly three hours from the lake so the only real time I can test it is when I am up there, which I hope will be this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Baytech

A 3' antenna is likely the culprit. It will work for a near-by boat, but will have difficulty the further away that boat is. Most use an 8'er to get height (antenna tip  to water surface). A 3'er on top of a flying bridge works because of the bridge height it is mounted to.

One thing to check is the HI/LOW power range. Use HIGH for best reception/transmission.

My 18' boat can talk with a boat 12 miles away (Niagara Dropoff to Wilson) with an 8' antenna.

I have a VHF with long antenna on my Islander that I bought last year. When trying to get it to work it doesnt. needs some TLC. the connector that goes from the antenna to the back of radio is crappy. I think it is a Uniden

I understand the limited range that I am getting out of such a small antenna but with a smaller boat I am not going to install an 8’ antenna. With the number of boats I saw on the water over the weekend there had to be chatter close (less than a mile) that was breaking up. I did a little research and found that there is often an issue with installing the PL-259 connector to the coax cable.  The PL-259 connector I have came already attached to my coax cable and I only had to run the other end to the antenna and strip a small amount of coax so it fit into the antenna base. I was thinking I did this wrong? I don’t understand why the weather stations come in clear but all other audio is cut up as well.

I have a feeling this is going to become a very frustrating issue for a novice like myself since I can only test it when I am on the lake 3+ hours away from home.

5/8 wavelength antenna will do just fine. You do not need eight feet long one to make contact. 3 footer will work without a doubt, as long as there is lign of sight.

Btw you don't have to be in the water to test your radio. Make sure your antenna is grounded. You want the boat and water to be used as a plane.

The antenna cable connector (male) that plugs into the radio could be a problem. Sometimes the cable itself is not making good contact with the connector. Some are crimp-on while others have been soldered-on. Soldered are far better.  

If the weather stations are coming in clear, the connection is not the problem. Believe me your.radio is only as good as the antenna. I had a 3 footer when I first started. It didn't last long before I upgraded for the same issues you have.

RR