Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Patriot

Batteries

Think I might need new batteries for the boat this season. I have Interstate but they’re not cheap. Anyone use the Everstart Marine battery from Wal-Mart?

I have two on my boat for the past three years no problems and my dads probably had the one in his boat for close to ten years. I had all intentions of Optima till I saw the price

I've been using them as well and got 7 years out of my first one and now on year 4 with my current one and have had no issues with either of them :yes:

Remember, you get what you pay for.

That is why I only have Interstate both starter and deep cycle with a Perko switch system.

Lady Ontario is unpredictable and saving money on safety issues like being able to start  is not money wisely saved.

I was researching batteries last night for my truck after my Interstate finally bit the dust and thought I'd share some info I found.

Up until about 2 years ago, the WalMart Everstart was one of the top rated batteries available. They were made by Johnson Controls, who manufacturers a good amount of the batteries on the market today. Something happened legally about 2 years ago and they had to switch battery manufacturers. The company which now makes their batteries isn't known for quality products and have a high failure rate, some people reporting on a survey that they had to replace their battery after only 6 months of use. The above posts where people mention they are on 4-10 years with their Everstarts is truthful, because of the Johnson Controls connection. Anything newer, I would stay away from personally. I was going to get an Everstart for my truck last night until I read this information. I wanted another Interstate, but went with a DuraLast. Made by Johnson Controls and same exact ratings (CA, CCA and RC) as the Interstate.

I run only Interstate batteries on my boat.

Just my $0.02.....

Edited by Misty IV

I'm on my 4th year on Optima Batteries, the first set lasted 7 years of heavy daily drain and daily recharging.Charter boat with 3 batteries for electric trolling motor and 1 battery for starting outboard motors.$921.00 for 5 batteries, high cost but never a problem!

Majority of your batteries with the exception of optimas and interstate are made by the same manufacturer.

I have 2 everstarts 1 is 2 years old and the other is 3 years old.  Hold a charge and work great.  If you maintain the batteries in the off season any battery should last years without issues.

Edited by Chas0218

I run two interstate deep cycles, this is the 4th year and they perform like they did when new. I keep them on maintainers in my unheated shed during the off season. They wired through a selector switch and run the whole boat. 

I agree, I run 4 optima's and had them over 5 years now. I love them, but they don't give them away.