Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

Well today was a good day. The west wind did pickup but before then fishing was bang on. There are alot of fish just outside the chute. Pick your side and stay within the 10-20 ft range. Stick baits and spoons were working well. Everyone who went out did well. All browns with the exception of a couple of lakers. Nice size browns. Some were up in the 12 lb range. Trophy Nuts Charters came back with the full rack. Ill post a pick by tomorrow.....

Should be a great weekend to fish so if you can get out do so. The winds are shifting from west to NW overnight so the brown water should stay here close....I will be out tomorrow and thru the weekend as most of us here will be....

Lol go em!!!!

No problem,

Lookin good. The lake calmed down last night, Today was a beautiful day. Some did and some didnt. The ones that did came in with some nice size browns from in close. Mostly west of the chute just past the point. Water is still stained particularly around the chute and points.

We were on the didnt lol (disclaimer: the crew went out for an unapproved shore leave and as a result we didnt get out until 10:15) lol

But its looking good...(photo courtesy of Trophy Nuts Charters)

935448_3049072603719_1305792626_n.jpg

Hopefully everyone can get out and enjoy the weekend! Lake should be fine...

Edited by mrclean

We went out this morning from 7:00 -11:00 trolled east to moon beach saw one boat land a fish on our way. Turned around and headed back west. Trolled the remainder of the day in front of the Shute. Marked good bait and fish but couldn't get any rods to move. Did manage to pick up one lake trout.post-145699-13689231635238_thumb.jpg

There seems to be a nice school just inside the chute on the park side. There were some good bites in the morning. The guys that did go out deep did spot fish in the 100-150 range, wayyyyyy down. A few good kings did come in today but mostly browns. A couple of atlantics came in as well.  I would say most were in the 5-8 lb range. It was a slower day for sure.

But keep after em because there still there. The water temp is still holding. Should be good for tomorrow too. Seems like earlier is better

Me after yesterdays empty net I went out at 6:15 and evened it up. Had a classic old man and the sea battle with a kype jaw brown just even of the first bluff in 14 feet of water. Took awhile to get him in because he was 250 feet back. Weighed in at 11. He hit about a half hour into it. I gave it a couple of more passes and headed back in for the day.

Nice fish Mr. Clean.  It was us in the red Alumacraft when you came out of the chute and set up.  We marked fish east of the chute but never moved a rod. Did a couple hours in close then went out. Picked up a laker on an NK NBK  and a had a few more releases between 110-150 FOW but that was it.  Radio sounded like a difficult day for lots of guys.  In 150 FOW the temp was basically the same from the surface to 85 ft,  We had a tough day for sure.

Thanks, lol yea I saw you guys heading out....It wasnt much after that when I turned the boat around and once I got to the first bluff he hit. The last couple of days the fish have been heavy ducking from te west winds on the state park side....But I think the browns will still hang around for awhile. The water temp seems pretty even in close to shore.....

Its all good...He was on the smoker by noon lol

405735_3051860393412_181828202_n.jpg

Edited by mrclean

Basically I filled it at the cleaning station, sprinkled some bucks seasoning  and threw it in here.

931204_3053407552090_1715999077_n.jpg

I used hickory and some left over cherry I had. Finished it up with some maple branches I had in the back. I eat very little of it. Most around me tend to want it more than I do lol...but its good when you chill it down and serve it with cocktail sauce...

Here's a shot of the cherry steelhead we got the other day.

575623_3053407592091_1727220662_n.jpg

Edited by mrclean

Sure do....I have an rv site right across from the boat. makes it easy lol..

Some nice kings are showing up around 150 to 250 feet. I think I might take a peek tomorrow night. but the browns are still in....

mrclean, I like the idea off putting all the Fair Haven reports together and thanks for all the info. We decided to go right out when we came out of the chute, went out as far as 250' and did run into a couple of big groups of fish down 100 to 175 but no hits our deepest rig was set at 90'. One was at 190' and the other just inside 180'. When we got back in to 138' mark is when we picked up a couple, hit a spot where both riggers fired so i set one and started working on the other when the 10 color lead core went off, wow, from nothing for 3 hours to being totally crazy. Well, my wife was driving, not a fisherman, called my daughter that was texting in the cuddy on here phone, she came up grabbed the core, as i got mine close to the boat, it spit the hook, so i set that pole down and went for the other, reeled 20' in, it jumped twice at about 65' back and it was gone..(not happy at this point) but we did get the 4lbs brown that hit the lead core. Wife marked the spot the riggers first fired made a wide turn because the heavy boat traffic in this small area. When we got back to the spot, nothing, made another turn in closer and rigger fired this was a nice 9lbs brown. That was highlight of our day 2 for 4 but all in a little more than an hour, the rest of the time nothin. Seemed like the fish were working there way back in, keep marking fish as we worked into about 65' but never moved another rod. Well the spoons that caught the fish were, northport nailer Lemon ice and Green Mahi Glow, all were caught down 45' to 53'.

I was wondering what station you keep your radios on at Fair Haven, I was on 68 but very little chatter and most seemed far away.

Edited by Hooked on Kings

Well I usually use 05 but for some reason it has had issues with excessive static. 68 and 72 are common channels. Ive been using 68 this year. I have that on in my camp too. There really has not been much chatter. Usually its more earlier than later..

Nice job on the fishing...you definitely got to put your time in this year lol...

Next time your out there put one rigger around 110 at trolling speed. Might help...

Thought about dropping them down after passing those deeper groups of fish but kept them as they were and kept heading in, at the time thought they were lakers, but thinking now they could have been kings. Next time i will be set up deeper when i make that trip out.

One other thing, I only have 150' of cable on my riggers, thinking I will change it up to 250'.

We gave it a try yesterday. Started at about 6am and headed West out of the chute to see if the browns were in. No, they weren't the group of boats in the area seemed to have the same reaction and they scattered, so we tried over by the bluffs with no action there, either.  We eventually worked our way out as deep as 150' area and we were among the boats searching in that area for quite a while. We eventually boated one Coho on a flat line in about 140' and that was all our action for the day. It was a long trip and a lot of searching for 1 fish, but what can you do...

We tried every color and type of lure we could imagine, but really did not mark too many fish.  We did mark some here and there on the bottom in about 110' of water, but we figured they were lakers and decided not to target them.

I wasnt on board this weekend, but I just chatted with my friend and fishing partner on the B.A.R. None. Fished in front of the bluffs saturday very early and boated five browns before it died. Smithwicks goby pattern and brown. Moved out to 130-150 and dropped riggers and dipseys. Took a coupla nice atlantics and A few lakers. Put back. Smithwicks again. Sunday took a decent brown inside then it got clear and died quickly. Went out to the same area as saturday and did a bunch of lakers on a mixed bag of spoons off riggers and dipseys. Lakers hit smithwicks also. I dont really have rigger depth info, but we fished from 90' on up to surface and caught lakers all over. More importantly, Smithwick Rogues in goby and brown colors has been magic for us all season so far....

I guess the term no rhyme no reason applies lol. It seems there are fish in that 100 to 200 range. some are deep around 100 but people are getting fish on top too.  Today was slow. Only one charter went out and came back with three small kings. Yesterday a couple of steelies up top. The water in close is clear however now we have a system coming in and cooling things down for the weekend. Its going to stir it up again so I guess its time to redraw the chalkboard if you will. It starts wednesday and passes thru Thursday night

I totally shifted gears today. I went muskrat fishing. Ever done it?? lol. Its very precise, very skilled and ill tell ya what. When the muskrats are hittin theres nothin better than a fight with a mean ole musky.....(not to be confused with the muskellunge lol)

There are two things I find interesting about this years lakers First off the ones brought in are big in avg. I would say 10 lbs is small for whats come in. The other thing is this year many have found them on top say 50 feet and up as opposed to the standard "mud chicken" lol. And they are hitting high speed (compared to standard) riggs for salmon. Someone did mention that this is a new strain of lakers. They react more like a salmonoid....keep in mind the lake trout really are a member of the char family.....

But for me i always troll very very slow and put the ball right at the bottom. Ive had great luck with nk28's A green/black with red eye version has really worked well.....Maybe 10 feet back..

They seem to come and go over the years. I think this was the last one I bagged about 4 years ago...But this year they are back,....

208366_1020980702689_6522537_n.jpg

But again...it looks like this years group feeds on top too....But if its the standard on the bottom lake trout, slow and easy right on the bottom is the best presentation imo...

Gonna drop the Skiff into Cross Lake for a couple hours tonight just to run her a bit before we head to FH for the holiday weekend. Hoping all this weather mixes it up enough for the browns to come in. Probably will go ahead and bring the riggers just in case, but am hoping that running sticks off the boards will be enough to put some fish in the box. Last year we picked up a couple kings in <40 FOW just east of the chute. Would be awesome if we see some of that action again this year. can't wait for Saturday morning. we'll be at the ramp early.