Niagara Bar / Sodus Report

Occasionally I read a report of a troubled filled trip to the lake. I always feel for the individual and the abundance of bad luck does not seem possible for one to have all in one trip.

Well I know firsthand now how things can go so wrong.  We left for our yearly trip to the Niagara Bar last Thursday for a long holiday weekend fishing trip. My father and I have been taking this trip for about twelve years now. It all started when I was notified by my sister that my nephew was not able to come with us on this trip. Dad and I were looking so forward to having him on the boat with us. The look on a youngsters face with a large king in hand is priceless.

Anyway, off we go. We left the house promptly at 3:00am. For our nine hour drive. All seamed well. The trailer breaks that I spent so much time on were working nicely. I did not realize they were as bad as they were on the new to me set up but they are working nicely now and it is so much better. Somewhere south of Sodus Bay on the New York through way is when it happened. The u-bolts holding the front axil to the trailer failed. The front tires slammed into the rear, wedging itself between the tire and the trailer frame. It was a sight-seeing the complete rig, truck, trailer, and boat on a flatbed. Well, two new tires, some u-bolts , and five hours later we were back on the road. Very thankful it had not been worse. We were ok and so was the rig.

We arrived too late to fish that day so just hit the sack early after a quick bite. Awoke the next day to six footers and some bigger with rain so did not try to go out. The second day it looked a little better so we went down to the lake to give it a shot. Put the boat in and forgot the plug. Got the boat back on the trailer and drained. Re-launched and was boarded by the coastguard.  All checked out fine and I have my golden ticket for the rest of the year, or so they say. Attempted the lake but it was too rough for fun fishing. Back at the dock I noticed that one of my downrigger bases was broken and the pin was missing to lock it into position. We went back to the motel for another day of boredom.

We awoke Sunday to lighter winds. Launched out of Olcott with roughly four to five footers. It felt great too finally be out on the lake. Fishing was tough in these conditions but we managed a few. About noon the lake started to settle and we were able to get better control for a better presentation. All of a sudden the volt meter tanked and I knew I had an issue. Figured I was going to break down I eagerly looked for the cause. Apparently my bilge pump shorted, I disconnected the wires and all was good. That is when fishing really picked up for us. The last two passes brought five fish to the boat all between twelve and eighteen pounds, too round out a nice box which brought a lot of attention at the cleaning station.

We headed home a little later than normal Monday morning.  I passed an unmarked cruiser back in Massachusetts which stopped us to chat a little. Nice officer.

All is good, we made it home safe. I have a few repairs for the next time I return to the boat in July.

I wish all a safe and great season.

Edited by Richard

Wow, it could have been a lot worse. I fished out of Olcott and watched the lake for the first two days but got out Sunday to do 15 for 18. Glad to hear you made it back safely and with some fish to round out your trip!

Glad you were able to put some fish in the boat after all the other issues.

These boats certainly can be trying and it makes the good times even better. I have a 35 year old boat that was left to me by a special Uncle and the gesture and boat mean the world to me. I have had my share of issues but he one thing I can say is that EVERY boat goes through issues, doesnt matter whether new, 5 years old or 30. Trailers can be bad too.  I do know this, I love my boat, the setup I have designed for fishing and I have learned to deal with the curveballs it throws at me. Sounds like you did too and made the best of it and now have more stories to tell.

I love hearing about people who come and enjoy this great fishery, and what they do in order to enjoy it- so many people right here have no idea what we have in our own backyards.

Don't feel bad my good friend,your not alone !! It happens to the best of us..."just remember-anything thats mechanical is subject to break down"...New or Old,just be glad all personal kept safe!    Good Fishing !!