Cannon MAG 10 STX Electric Downrigger bases

On May 8 2012 I bought 2 Mag 10 STX downrigger and also got the 3 Year Extended Warranty

thru : www.cpscentral.com ( 1-800-905-0443) ....after fishing today I was going to cover boat with the bad weather coming and go home...............tacking off the first rigger no problem , second one was stuck , then just kept turning nothing happening , could see the plastic knob turn but the shaft with the bolt was not.....gessshhh...... and steering with the  auto pilot is like it was last fall before I replaced the steering cable but lets not go there now........... so long story short to get it off I broke the knob and the bolt broke off inside the down rigger....what a cheesy set up had OLD mag 10s and 10a for year and NEVER had this issue..............any way went online to chat with these folk and some place along the line he didn't get back to me........then called the 800 # gave ALL the info again talked a bit to this lady she told me to hold and would get someone that knew about these............start over with the info get thru to this guy that had NO IDEA what a downrigger was ............ then he want a HARD copy of my recite I said " dude that's what I did when I put all the info on your site besides I bought it online...........OK............set my claim up............just a while ago got a e-mail back it NOT covered .............. I contacted Cannon after that we'll see what they do..........then got thinking how long will this take and with the cheesy way it made it will happen again.........so I went out to  fish307 and order 2 sets of parts one to fix it now and one for later when the other one ****s to bed.................OK have a good day everyone I off the soap box.......gggeeessshhh.....wish I had the BIG words like someone else on here............ :P  :lol:

:) :smile: :):lol:  Ed - Sorry about your situation pardner...but laughed my a.. off about the 'big words" ...man...you guys never give up....

I've heard some good things about contacts with Cannon and them standing by the product so hopefully they will be able to do something for you. It sure is frustrating though....a couple weeks ago I took a brand new Okuma Convector out of the box and put a bunch of braid on it and then when I went to test the drag there was none.....what the h ever happened to something called "quality control" on these products?

Good luck with it Ed.

Les

Edited by Sk8man

Welcome to "The New Cannons" not trying to one up you but, I bought 2 new Mag 10 STX's 03/2013 and three weeks ago while fishing out of Olcott and clearing

lines to land a big king (turned out to be 28 lbs)upon raising the 10lb ball to the surface, buddy started to swivel the port side rigger & boom toward the bow

of the boat one side of the base broke completely off, broke the bolt out of part it slides into and broke the swivel base where the spring loaded pin goes

into it!!! Only thing that kept whole damned thing from ending up on the bottom of Lake O was my buddies quick reaction by holding onto the boom with one hand

and lifting everything, including ball back into the boat. Sent the whole thing back to Maknato, MN at my expense after waiting a week for the e-mail Pre-paid

label the said they would send me!!! Three e-mails and two phone calls, still waiting for label!!! First contact with them I was referred to their Burlington,

Ontario location, where they had no idea why I was referred there, inasmuch as I live in the USA not Canada!!!! In Mankato they said the base and part it slides

into has a lifetime warranty, but no the $90.00 swivel base, which I have already repaired myself with parts ordered from fish 307. Got reply from shipping

service I used that it was delivered in Mankato yesterday. Guess I'll see in time what they do!!!!! Good luck with yours!!!! By the way this is

the 3rd horror story I've had with Cannon downriggers in the last 5 years. Only reason I got Cannon's in lieu of Scotty's this time is because boat is already

set up with four Cannon swivel bases and wired with Cannon quick disconnects.

You guys wanna fix your Cannon problems ???  Trade them in for Scottys !!!!  Hands down the best !!  Had them all and will never buy another rigger other than Scotty...  Customer service seems to be a huge problem with Cannon and to be honest with you would love to tell you that Scottys customer service is better but have never had to call them..... 

Mike

I've had my Cannon 10a's since 1985 and I've only had to replace the power cords because of weathering and uv effects. They still have the same wire on them and I've never had a problem with either one of them despite thousands of hours of use. There aren't many things that last that long anymore....unfortunately many products are now manufactured out of the country and the use of plastic parts etc. it is the accepted way of doing business. I hope Cannon (and many other companies for that matter) takes a close look at things and goes back to their previous quality control standards.

I replied to there e-mail  told them what I thought and would be post this ( as I have ) on the 6 fishing sites I belong to...............called me at home .........I was at the lake.........home now and they called told me sorry but it broke so no claim....... told them it broke because it got to tight and it was the only way to get it off.............don't care what you do already order parts.............I hung up..................they called back .....long story short the word BROKE is what red-flagged the claim............asked me to send copy of the order I sent in ( I did ) and the will reinburse me ( we see )..................anywho  the riggers are GREAT fast and work well just the new bases suck !!!!!