fathers day on oneida 2013

johnnywalleye

fished with my dad..530am till 10...10-28fow...jigs and a dixie;;.2 smb.1 sunnie 1 6lb catfish and a rockie..the eyes out did me this weekend..the traffic was less BUT i put a net in the water for the cat and was greeted by 3 other boats within 2 minutes..kinda crazy!!met a felloe LOU member and his father,,he reconigied my tag name...how cool is that!!!!...and so long 4 now.john

i put a net in the water for the cat and was greeted by 3 other boats within 2 minutes

I know that feeling.  I can't blame them.  They want to catch fish but aren't sure how and somewhere, somebody told them to go where the other boats are.  I am always curious what the other guy's patterns are, but I never want to be up on someones grill because I think the fishing is better over where they are.  80% of the time its the pattern that will determine success.  It can be as simple as a slight color change.  Just my two cents.

Swirling winds and extremely inefficient boat launching techniques (by others) was my only aggravation this weekend.  It was nice to be  out there.  No eyes for me but about 15 bass 12-14 inchers.

We ran our usual #4 Colorado program and had 2 in about 45 minutes, with several silver bass stealing our bait, but then my son was going thru some other harnesses I had put up with spin-n-glows, and others with smile blades, and I said why not?

Changed up one, and sent it down. Bang. 10 mins later another.

So we pulled another rod and re-set it with another. Bang.

Next we knew the port planer board was 1/2 way underwater!

Dropped it at the boat.........whatever it was.

We had steady marks, with as many as 5-6 on the screen sometimes.

We worked our way thru a pile of shorts and ended up with our 6, and we were still boating fish when we pulled it at 12:00.

40 FOW, .09-1.2 mph gps.

Gonna' run those as a steady routine until they say otherwise.

i dont mind sharing info.infact i like it..even on the water i had a fisherman ask what do you gotta do to catch an eye?he has been out 6 times since openin day for zero eyes..and he drove up from the southern tier!!what rocks my boat is when you get close enough for me to put a jig through your windshield..and im suppose to change my routine for a fool who came ontop of me...if your askin ????and approach that close ok..but to get as close as you feel and and fish right on top..wtf!!!ill come off my soap box now...and so long 4 now;john

when you run the harnesses off the planers, how much weight do you usually use?  do you have to get them right down to the bottom in 40 FOW

We use 2-3 oz. bottom bouncers, that deep, fished on the bottom.

Let them out until they JUST touch the bottom, clip the board on, and run it off where you want it.

We were running 5 rods.

2 boards, 1 off each side, and 1 down the chute with a semi-variety of blades, then we home in on what they like.

Edited by Fish Hunter

Did you catch any "down the chute"? Last time I was at Oneida was july/aug and I thought I did better under the boat than boards, just the opposite at otisco. Im not sure you can catch a walleye in daylight without boards. Don't know how anyone can deal with all the boats on Oneida if you troll, Couldn't keep the people outta my gear, but had limits easy everyday. Great fishery, but Ill wait for the perfect drizzle/rain for my next trip there!

justin

Did you catch any "down the chute"? Last time I was at Oneida was july/aug and I thought I did better under the boat than boards, just the opposite at otisco. Im not sure you can catch a walleye in daylight without boards. Don't know how anyone can deal with all the boats on Oneida if you troll, Couldn't keep the people outta my gear, but had limits easy everyday. Great fishery, but Ill wait for the perfect drizzle/rain for my next trip there!

justin

Did not catch 1 single fish out the back.

Those fish are on now, and it'll be that way 'till about mid-August as a rule, but 3rd weekend in July we pull the camper to Lake Ontario, and chase the cold-water fish, 'till after Labor Day, then shortly thereafter, I start inhabiting tree stands.