Pick Your Month!

If you were in my situation, basically hitting Lake O 2x a year, spring i.e. May or June and then late summer fall i.e. August - September what months would you target to be there and within those months, early mid or late in the month? Just trying to plan ahead alittle. Around here, we are still froze up until mid April. Planning on Fishing out of Fair Haven

Edited by Adk1

I'd say don't overlook the ports of Rochester/Irondequoit Bay/Sodus for the month of July. Last year, 9 out of the top 21 salmon came out of Rochester/Sodus for the LOC (at least they were weighed in at these ports).

Lots to do in and around these ports as well. However, I would agree that the Oak is equally as good in July.

Good luck and be safe on the water,

Chris

Disclaimer - my home port is I-Bay, NY so i'm a little biased...... ;)  ;)

Adk,

Mid august is pretty darn good in Fair Haven as well.  I think most of our opinions for this will be based on geography.  If you live near Oak Orchard its probably not real likely that you are going to drive to Henderson Harbor or vice versa to fish when you can launch the boat in your back yard.  Many of us fish where it is the most convenient.

For Salmon -  Best bets are Wilson/Olcott - May-mid June, Oak mid June end of July. Sandy - mid June - early August. Rochester July-mid Aug, east of Rochester (fairhaven, sodus, oswego, salmon, ect) Aug-Early Sept. General movement from west to east between May and Sept,  but but if conditions are stable any port can be on fire, especially from mid-June - Sept. Also, many ports offer very stable fishing for resident brown/laker fishing all year. Also, watch the reports as each year can be different. Last all year ports were hammering kings April-Aug and it didn't matter where you were.

There's not a port I'd rather fish out of in the Month of July than Olcott, with the Oak being a close second, only because I've seldom fished there and don't know the water.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

I fish Fairhaven every summer the 2 last weeks of July during our vacation. Its hit or miss salmon wise. Last year was awesome and it was pretty much all you wanted. The past couple years was slower with a few salmon here and there. BUT with Fairhaven if the salmon fishing is slow, head out to deep water 300' to 500' and fish for steelies. They are always there. And as far as late August, you can't beat the number of kings staged from Mexico Bay north to Sandy pond. Huge numbers, BUT also huge numbers of boats. I have been fishing off of the salmon river the last 2weeks of August for over 12 years now and there are ALWAYS plenty of salmon around there then. Hope this helps you ADK1.

I fish Fairhaven every summer the 2 last weeks of July during our vacation. Its hit or miss salmon wise. Last year was awesome and it was pretty much all you wanted. The past couple years was slower with a few salmon here and there. BUT with Fairhaven if the salmon fishing is slow, head out to deep water 300' to 500' and fish for steelies. They are always there. And as far as late August, you can't beat the number of kings staged from Mexico Bay north to Sandy pond. Huge numbers, BUT also huge numbers of boats. I have been fishing off of the salmon river the last 2weeks of August for over 12 years now and there are ALWAYS plenty of salmon around there then. Hope this helps you ADK1.

Yes it does. thanks for the reply on this