Releasing salmon and trout

I have never been out on Lake O to fish for salmon etc. Rookie here. Anyways, I see allot of posts where basically every fish caught is kept or at least it seems. I also see some posts where salmon are released. How do you know whether or not the fish is going to be able to be released? I have been told that the kings are brought up from such great depths and colder water and with the way they fight to the point of exhaustion how do you know if they are gonna make it if you release them?

The younger kings seem to do better when released if they are brought in fairly quickly and if possible not touched by hand or netted. I've always used single hooks on just about all my stuff and use needle nose pliers to grab the hook turn it upside down and give a small shake and they usually drop back in the water at the back of the boat unharmed. Large kings are a different matter. For one thing it isn't always the depths that gets to them it is the long fight and expended energy...they are pretty much exhausted after fighting their hearts out. They also build up lactic acid  in their system during the fight....much like the stuff that gives runners muscle cramps etc. In short...they are usually shot...and go belly up when released. They also do a lot of thrashing around in the net (the previous release method not practical) and in the boat causing injury. It might be possible to release one that isn't badly injured by spending a lot of time re acclimating them slowly but I've never done it.

I try to do the hook grab with pliers while the fish are at the back of the boat. If I can do it without even really getting their heads out, that's even better. To me the worst are steelhead when they start getting up in the 12lb+ range. You have to get them in quick, unhook in the water if possible, then decide if they're good to go ASAP or need a little resuscitation along side the boat.

For big kings I have good luck with that gripper thing that grabs their jaw and locks on (I think Rapala makes it). I grab them with that along side the boat (have to clear a rigger if u see him coming in) and unhook then keep him along the boat till he gives some good kicks with the tail. Success rate is pretty high I think as I usually see them disappear downward with a few good tail flips.

Also- I only use a rubber net if it is needed (except for a tournament fish). Another huge factor is surface temp. At 70+ degrees on top you better be quick if you want to be successful.

I'm not against keeping fish at all, but personally hate eating trout/salmon. So it's back in the water for them all until they figure out a way and stock haddock in Lake O and teach them to tolerate fresh water!

we have a rule of thumb on my boat of if its bleeding out the chance is they are done if there not bleeding badly I've noticed they catch rather quickly but if you have a big enough boat you can put a live relase well I've seen it in bc it's similar to the live well system but you keep the fish in there till it starts to kick then torpedo it , some guys just put the fishes head faceing the current till they start to kick then torpedo it

Don't loose too much sleep over it.  Any fish that is not released will not survive.  Some chance is better than no chance.  On my boat, even lampreys get released...albeit in at least three pieces. (Gobys in two)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

ok, thanks for the replys. Even though I haven't fished Ontario since the mid 80's when I was in my teens, I cant but try to do what I can to keep the fishery going better than in was back then. If  Iwant to keep a fish for the table I will but I want to know what and how to release them back for another day if I decide that I don't want to keep them. ITs up to use to keep this fishery going.

I release alot of fish....80% or more and most are fine.  Lakers at times seem more a problem than many others with their swim bladders....but with kings...specifically big kings that are tired....i was taught to do a tail wrap.  I have used a dock line....with the eye, i essentially do a laso around the tail and drag the fish for a few minutes to help resuscitate (sp).  You can hand hold it as well, but that is not always fun or practical.  Once I reset my line or wash down the back of the boat, 95% of the time, the king has regained its energy and swims away.  At least I dont see them come back floating.  Just my two cents

I release alot of fish....80% or more and most are fine.  Lakers at times seem more a problem than many others with their swim bladders....but with kings...specifically big kings that are tired....i was taught to do a tail wrap.  I have used a dock line....with the eye, i essentially do a laso around the tail and drag the fish for a few minutes to help resuscitate (sp).  You can hand hold it as well, but that is not always fun or practical.  Once I reset my line or wash down the back of the boat, 95% of the time, the king has regained its energy and swims away.  At least I dont see them come back floating.  Just my two cents

ugh that sounds so much better than me hanging over the edge hanging onto their tail for 5 minutes like i have been... lol

I used a boga grip on our Kings working them at the side of the boat back and forth until they are upright in the water and their tail is going. Upon release, just about every one will swim slowly away no matter how long the fight is or warm the water is. The key is to lift them out of the net with the grippers, then un hook them and get them back into the water at the side of the boat quickly without handling and thrashing around the bottom of the boat. The only exceptions are deep hooked in the gills bleeders which we will harvest. Ideally, the net stays in the water, boga them, unhook and revive without ever touching the boat floor. The only issue is with getting a weight and solved that this year by using a Baker Grip N weigh "Boga" with a 60 lb electronic scale. That way we get a real weight, pictures if we want and still get it back fast. With all of the effort we put into pen rearing and making sure the direct stocked Kings get in good, I hate to kill any King that with a small effort on my part can survive and continue to contribute to our fishery.