Magnesium anode

MikeyP

First of all my electrical knowledge is zilch and I'm thinking of purchasing one of those magnesium anodes to hang overboard my boat next to my outdrive as added protection against stray current in the water at my marina. I have a Bravo 3 outdrive and they are known to be vulnerable to corrosion. The anode also comes with a clip on one end. Does anyone know where I'm supposed to attach this clip in order for it to work properly? Somewhere on the engine block? Do I need to do something else in order for it to work properly? Any insight would be helpful.

Zinc is for steel boats. Magnesium is for aluminum boats. Your outdrive has protection on the tab behind the propeller which should be monitored for corrosion. If your boat is aluminum, there are magnesium protectors for the hull that are bolted through the hull. Stray electrical currents especially from nearby boats occur regularly and there is a "Capac" meter that monitors hull systems.

Edited by jimski2

Jimski, thanks for the reply. My boat is fiberglass and only used in freshwater, therefore, a magnesium alloy anode is the recommended choice in all the literature I have read for all freshwater applications.

I posted this on a similar thread below.

I understand that your anodes should not be zinc for our fresh waters. I was told this some time ago and when I purchased my Great Lakes boat I told my local marina to look into it and change all the anodes. He agreed wit my findings and changed them all to magnesium alloy anodes. I did a quick search and came up with this article......

http://www.boatmichi...ail.aspx?ID=128