Repairing coated wire?

Had a screamer on a wire the other day and a rookie tried taking it out of the holder- long story short the wire rubbed the coating off of my downrigger cable in a spot- now I'm getting some weird readings.

I was thinking about patching it with either heat shrink tube or liquid electrical tape...

Is there a fix or should I just get a new cable?

Had a screamer on a wire the other day and a rookie tried taking it out of the holder- long story short the wire rubbed the coating off of my downrigger cable in a spot- now I'm getting some weird readings.

I was thinking about patching it with either heat shrink tube or liquid electrical tape...

Is there a fix or should I just get a new cable?

Can you just cut it out and re-terminate? I bet the heat shrink would work until the cable wears on it a few times. Just be careful to not ruin the coating near the spot with too much heat. Could you warm the coating a little and squeeze the spot shut?

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Might want to try spraying the section with some black Plasti Dip (comes in spray can and one that you dip things in) Maybe do a couple light coats....might hold up for a while at least. You can find itin the paint section at Lowes at about $6 per can.

Might want to try spraying the section with some black Plasti Dip (comes in spray can and one that you dip things in) Maybe do a couple light coats....might hold up for a while at least. You can find itin the paint section at Lowes at about $6 per can.

That's worth a shot.  When you do end up replacing the cable, I'd go with a 300'.  Not only will that allow you to fish deeper, but it's give you some breathing room to cut cable back if you have to.

Tim

Ill see what I can do lol

When I bought it the kit only came w about 200' as it was used. I don't mind buying a new cable but I literally put the thing on not even three weeks ago lol