RUFF RIDER Live Report Sodus Aug 16-18

It looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful weekend, warm weather and calm seas :clap:

SDSPN_l.jpg?rnd=15-081620131502

Reports I've been hearing from people today are that the strong west winds over the last few days has brought in warm warm water and temp is WAY down.  It will be a good weekend to head offshore!  I'll likely poke around in the shallower water a bit tonight to see if there are any kings tolerating the warm water as they prepare to stage shortly, but I have absolutely no problem catching 2-3yr old kings in that deep water either :yes:

For those looking for a gameplan, best I can offer is to start in 150fow and troll North until you either find fish or find where temps gets within "reach", around 80' so you can get your dipseys, coppers, riggers etc going through.  The last few weeks there has been a strong thermocline (looks like a fuzzy line) on the fishfinder out in deep water... when you first hit it, it's deep (150ft+) but then keep following it until it rises to 80ft and that's where I've been finding hungry fish.

It's also the first weekend of the Fall LOC!  After Theresa got knocked off the last day of the Summer LOC, she's had that look in her eye... I have the feeling if I get in the way of her running for a rod, I might be in serious trouble! :ninja:

We have coworkers coming up this weekend and next, we've told them LOC tickets are required to board the boat!

To wet everyone's appetitie and get a bit pumped up for this weekend, here's a video of last weekend's fun with one of my coworkers John, and his daughter Devon.  At one point, you can see how awesome the new Frabill net is as the fish gets tangled on the downrigger cable and completely bends open a swivel!  I lost the lure but managed to scoop the king.

My friend Dean also gave me this video he took using is Contour camera of a bait school passing by... pretty cool!

Good luck to everyone out there this weekend!  Let's see some LOU folks with some bruisers on the LOC board!

Nick

Nick, have a safe trip up this weekend, cool videos as always.

Question for you or anyone that would like to chime in, when looking at the current water temperature transects, ( http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=vwt&type=N&hr=00 it seems the water towards the west is cooler closer into shore or does it show you still have to get out to 500+feet to get to the colder water?

Frogger the water to the West is always cooler than to the east, it's exacerbated this weekend due to the major west winds we had all week. If you read Rick's (yankee troller) reports, they typically fish 10-20' higher than us in Sodus. The water temp is normally a bit higher up out there, best guess is due to normal wind direction from the west and current direction from west to east... but I'm sure some of the guys who are much smarter than me can provide more detail!

We're fishing out of Sandy Creek in the AM so it should be interesting out there. The surface temp map this AM looked as though most of the cooler water is in Canada. I guess some of it may depend on how strong their "homing" instinct or "urge" is right now and whether it offsets their preference for temps too.

We're fishing out of Sandy Creek in the AM so it should be interesting out there. The surface temp map this AM looked as though most of the cooler water is in Canada. I guess some of it may depend on how strong their "homing" instinct or "urge" is right now and whether it offsets their preference for temps too.

It certainly isnt tonight! They just aren't hungry. Five boats out here, one small king.

We were out of Fair Haven today. it was still 70 degrees down 120 feet+ over 300 fow :puke:  Caught a few little guys and had 3 other good rips and that was it. Beautiful weather though.  We may try again sunday if the temp straightens out.