Cayuga Cayuga 8-25-13

Wow !! Been a while since my last post...  Busy Busy this year....  Had a FLTA tourney on Cayuga .... Launched out of Dean's Cove and ran south just short of Sheldrake and set up shop...  We ran cores coppers riggers wires and rigs....  We get the last rod in and BANG !!  200 copper goes pulling a FLT Death From Above, board going back quick and grab the rod and a great fight all the way to the boat and was a bit surprised that the the fish was a 6 lb Laker ...  Get the rods back in the water and nothing for a long time other than the 20 + 10 inch landlock salmon with all three trebles in there mouth almost every time , very impressive for such a small fish I must say.... We work in to some different water and bang a couple small 18 inch lakers and had to keep them for our box cause we are running out of time....   We were starting to pick up the rods for the run in and we get a hit on the shallow rig and get a nice little bow to the boat and in the box.....   Was very disappointed on our way in knowing we only had maybe 12 pounds of fish in the box and it usually takes at least 25 to 30lbs to be in the top 5 in this tourney and definitely questioning my decision on where to fish out there today ...  We get to weigh in and find out after chatting to everyone there that it was slow for most boats and end up pulling off the win and lunker and taking over the overall  points lead for the season so far.....   Congrats to everyone who fished and to my buddy Joe ( Keepin it Reel ) on his second place finish and a hell of a first season as a member of the club ...  Keep it up Joe !!! :yes:  :yes: :yes:  :yes:

Mike     

Edited by Iron Duke

Thanks mike and yeah that was a very very tough day to all that can consistently get nice fish on that lake right now I tip my hat to you the lamprays are crazy out their and I'm sure that is having a dramatic cause and effect on the fishing I have a pic of one stuck to the back of my boat tough to see but is white blob right off the back . And their is a lot of good fisherman in that club an for all of us to come in with tinny box something is wrong I mean 3 fish for 12.2lbs that's horrible I can get that in my favorite crappie spot hahahahahahahahaha. But congrats on the win and looking forward to the next turny on another lake lol!'n

Thanks Ed.. And rustyrat I am starting to see this my big problem is I have only ever fished the lake 3 times from a boat my first trip was my best had 3 lakers for 18lbs that day and was 3rd in the tournament and I fished that same area again this past weekend and could not get fish over 3lbs, don't get me wrong I had numbers boy did we have number prob 20 salmon under 11" and at least 15 lakers all 2 to 2.5lbs did drop one nice fish on a inline board was prob the best one we had on all day but really can't say for sure came off half way in!

I feel a reason to be worried I use to hear of 10+ lbs fish consistently talked to a friend that runs charters over their said he has done over 800 fish this year and not one over 10 a lot if mid 9s but the number of 10" salmon is crazy I'm sure other feel its just fine but I know I feel something is wrong!!!

I haven't caught a keeper silver fish since June. If I can put a dozen Lakers between 4 and 6 lbs it was a good trip. Although I did really well 2 weeks ago on Lakers 8 to 10. But that was the first trip this year where I had quality Lakers.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thats a great practice Lakertaker187 but I fear there is a bigger problem than that going on there... The Lampreys are out of control , when you bring up a 5 lb laker and the lamprey attached is almost the same size as the fish thats unreal and almost every fish accept for my last trip there I have had at least one lamprey if not three attached to each fish... I know when Dec lampricided Seneca there was a little bit of worry about the chemical but nothing major happened accept for a huge decline in lamprey eels ... So I really think they need to give it a shot on Cayuga as well....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I been really bad about posting reports. I too have been struggling on Cayuga but I recently made 2 trips to the south end and had pounded the salmon, browns and bows with the occasional laker. I been running sliders and it was pretty common to have 2 fish on 1 rod. It's a pain to fish with all the boat traffic but very rewarding.

We are still out pulling copper in Aurora in front of college. We have 11 on the copper and 3 on the downrigger. Pulled up 3 lampreys attached to the ball! 1 lamprey on a fish. And a few scarred fish. 1 native so far about 4 lbs. biggest fish 7 lbs so far. I have a snubber attached to 4lb ball with 20 feet of 30lb test. Silver quickfish with pink dots. Not running a rod too many weeds! 85-105 FOW it's been a killer morning so far!