Looking for advice

Hi there folks,

I am thinking of trying my hand at trolling at the mouth of Oak Orchard this Fall.  I live pretty close to it, and it is a shorter drive than me going to Lake Erie for some perching this Fall, so I would like to give it a whirl.  Problem is, I have never trolled for salmon before.  I have trolled a bit using dipsey divers and bottom bouncers in Lake Erie for walleye, so I have two trolling rods with line counters---but not much else.

I am not looking to buy enough tackle to become a charter captain, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what tackle AND technique a newbie might want to try.  I am not looking to become an expert in 3 days, nor will I be upset if I give it a shot and don't catch much in my first few efforts while learning.

I figured giving it a try in the Fall when the fish aren't so deep may be a good way to begin.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Matt, try flat lining some j13 Rapala or J plugs in front of the breakwall. Early morning if the sky is clear. Cloudy with a little wave action will keep kings moving in all day. Before daylight charge up some glow j plugs and make your leads about 100 to 150 feet back. Add some inline weight to the plugs if you want to get them down a bit. It's only about 12 feet deep in close to the wall, move out to 20 feet and just move with the crowd if there is one. Mind your long lines though, you can shorten them up a bit in case there is traffic. Move outside the pack and try down west of the wall a ways toward the pump house and back. Troll about 2.6 mph with the Rapala...you can go faster with the plugs if the fish are hitting them. Check your drags and be sure they are set to take a strong hit from an angry king! Good luck!

Ps be aware, there is a nasty prop eater on the east pass of the breakwall going out from the east pier near the end of the breakwall. I don't go thru there anymore.

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As far as gear the minimum to me is:

Dipsey divers size #1, at least 4 in black to start.

11" Spin doctors and matching atomik flies - screamer and frog, hawg wild, bloody death, hammer time

Spoons size 3" and 4" - same colors as above, monkey puke, nbk,, purple thunder

Now this might be a hard sell but I would buy wire dipsey rods if you don't already have them. Put 30 lb, 7 strand on your reels and you won't look back.

Assume you have a decent fish finder.

Having down temperature is a good bonus. Simplest is the fish hawk TD. But you can go smart troll which works on any type of rod or down riggers.

Edited by markbellino

As far as gear the minimum to me is:

Dipsey divers size #1, at least 4 in black to start.

11" Spin doctors and matching atomik flies - screamer and frog, hawg wild, bloody death, hammer time

Spoons size 3" and 4" - same colors as above, monkey puke, nbk,, purple thunder

Now this might be a hard sell but I would buy wire dipsey rods if you don't already have them. Put 30 lb, 7 strand on your reels and you won't look back.

Assume you have a decent fish finder.

Having down temperature is a good bonus. Simplest is the fish hawk TD. But you can go smart troll which works on any type of rod or down riggers.

The guy just wants to troll the wall.

Pyson, do what skipper said.

For trolling the wall area Mark (Skipper 19) is right on target...and it won't cost you an arm and a leg for equipment. Do make sure you have VERY sturdy rod holders though as they are essential.

Best advice I can give you is don't wait till this time of year to fish for those slimy black boots.  The Oak has phenomenal fishing for good tasting, silver, feeding kings all spring and summer, fairly close to shore and much easier to catch.

Tim

You mentioned that you live fairly nearby so Tim's point is well taken too. The silvers are better eating if you plan to keep fish and are usually readily available in the shallows in the Spring and when the water temps and wind are favorable later on sometimes as well. The matures that are coming into the creek to spawn in the Fall are already starting to "decompose"  and although kings are fighters regardless they won't be as much fun at that stage as a rule as the non-spawners that seem to have a lot more"zip" to them. Pier fishing (from shore with light tackle)) for them may be a little different in that they aren't working against the weight of the boat. You may also encounter some big browns that come in close to shore after the eggs etc if the water flow is right for it.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for the tips guys.....

Will the same techniques work in the Spring when the fish are fresher and in close as well?  I will let you all know how I do when I go out.

Matt

Early spring at the oak is hit and miss with kings, your best bet is brown trout from late February right to end of May, weather permitting. Troll flatline Rapala, yozuri, rebel style plugs or small spoons in 8 to 15 fow. Browns will be in the edges of colored water, and prefer warmer temp breaks if you have a surface temp guage. Calm water is usually best, and be very quiet in shallows. I have taken kings in mid may off point breeze but the majority are following the bait in the warmer waters of the Niagara bar west.

Mark

Don't you have the same flood of cohos inside like we do at Olcott throughout May? I couldn't keep 2 and 3 color cores in the water this past spring.

Tim

Yes Tim! Not so many as Olcott, and out from the shallows more. Thanks for reminding me. Also assuming, that the OP has only the rods and lures without planner boards, you could use some in line planners to be more stealthy in shallow. If not.. use a S pattern of troll to help keep your lures more off sides of the boat wake so as not to spook those wary browns.