Otisco 10/15

315angler

Got out tonight for about 90 minutes from 10:30-12 at the park. Got one 24" eye on a challenger. I had been casting an f18 for about an hour and third cast fish smashed it. Wish I had more time to fish. Fog was rolling in as I was leaving. Caught the fish after the clouds moved and the sky was clear briefly.

That area is a safe area to wade I checked it extensively yesterday to see if I could find anything to key on casting. Usually I can find an something that looks like a place to cast, but that area is quite homogenous like most of the lake. I will tell you if you wade out your casts will reach more weeds. There is I nice relatively weed free area close, but further out there is lots of weeds. Tim, I checked our other spot with the boat in the light there is actually some real structure there. Next real windy night Id like to try it a little differently. I got a toad bass with a huttleston swim bait on the structure yesterday after we talked.

justin

I went down to the park about 11:15 last night.....southwest wind made it tricky to cast but I managed to give a ride home to a 22" 3.8 # walleye . Vampire f18

Tim

Congrats. on your catch, I was wondering the 3 folks that hit this lake at night, how far of a ride is it to the lake for you. One fish is better than no fish. Like my chickens sometimes I get 4 eggs and sometimes I get 6. something is better than nothing and every time you learn a little something, to hopefully make the next time maybe a 2 fish night. It sounds a lot like our lake here at home if you get 2-3 eyes your on fire. Beltzville lake is 13 miles long and 3/4 miles wide again as big as Otisco, so makes for lots more trolling time, but if you put time in you will catch a walleye, like Otisco they are big. The lake gave up a 13.3/4 pounder 2 years ago, but the norm is 20-24", this lake is so loaded with alewives that they stocked Stripped bass in about 7 years ago, and know people come from all over to troll at night for the stripers.

Pap,

I can be down at the park in about 8 minutes , and down to my boat at ryfuns in 15.

Its very easy for me to go and only spend an hour or 2 to steal a walleye and go home. Like you said its better than a skunk. It makes it hard not to go , knowing you can get at least one usually . We were on fire a couple weeks ago.

7 nights for me yielded 6 limits. 1 night I zeroed but had fish on, just didnt land them.

I think itll come back yet again once the weather changes again, in the meantime its 1 here or there.

Tim

I only live a quarter mile from the lake and can be to the boat at the south end of the lake in 5min. I havent been fishing in a few days because of  work commitments and working on the snowmobile clubs groomer last night.  I prob wont get out again until Thursday or Friday at the earliest hopefully I would like to see the water temps drop to the mid-low 50's. But bowhunting is now going to start taking up most of my free time so my day's chasing the eyes are going to be few until the water freezes...

Justin... my wife thought I have a problem!!! I travel 34 miles one way to my spot on Onieda, but your almost double for your otisco trips, I understand your addiction brother. I should take advantage of how much closer otisco is for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I looked it up.  It is 1hr40min from corning to Otisco lake for me.  I would pull the hammer except when I factor driving thru Ithaca and Cortland, I change my mind.  It is 1hr to Conesus.  I do that occasionally.  I can get to the river in 5minutes.  This has more appeal to me and gives my wife more peace of mind that I am close.  I have spent enough time on Conesus that I kinda get a feel for what guys are reporting.  I would like to have the same experience on Otisco so I can relate better but something else has to give.  Turkey season opens Saturday and I haven't gotten any of the stands ready yet for gun season.  For now I will just read the reports...

Joe

Justin... my wife thought I have a problem!!! I travel 34 miles one way to my spot on Onieda, but your almost double for your otisco trips, I understand your addiction brother. I should take advantage of how much closer otisco is for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

YEA, MeatHunter737, I agree he's got a problemLOL. but I know in person how hard it is, when you think about all day & night can't sleep, I'm 48 years old and still act like a kid at Christmas, the first Sat. in May I've launched at 12:01am and came in at 6:00 am to pick up the other guys. It's way better than drugs but just as addictive. I used to be like that with deer season, but the older I get the more I loose interest with it. Again it's not what it used to be, for one it's so built up around here, and like I said earlier I'm 48 so all or most of the guys we hunted with are gone or just can't do it anymore and I like to gang hunt at one time we needed 2 rosters 35-40 guys and we could cover huge spots that other guys couldn't and the first chase always produced enough camp meat for the week. That's another thing everybody had off the first week, now they usually just hunt the first 2 days then back to work, so that left me and a handful of younger guys and a truck load of handicaps. I'm not one to sit in a tree for hours on end. Fishing, I can  take the older guys it's not so demanding of the body, and they can drive wile I set lines, set hooks and hand off the pole so I can get the net, while listing to Korea war stories or Vietnam happenings the guys that were over there, one who is a vey close friend, still goes to the V.A for mental support and was told to talk about it for therapy, has told me stories that are hard to imagine that one could still function in the general public, I guess that's why he visits the VA every Thurs. since the return to the US. It's sad but I try to take him every chance I get. So fishing we all can do and have fun together and if we come up with a skunk, we had fun, and when we fish for the walleyes and nail a few well, that's a chattering all the way to the fillet table. Fishing = good time with great friends and its just a great sport, no arguing you weren't in line, how the hell did you miss that one it just about ran you over on and on. Keep fishing, I wish I lived close to a lake like Otisco, you guys are really blessed, take care of what you got and it will treat you well for years PAP.

I guess I look at things a little different than most. Nobody has a problem sitting in front of a tv for a 1 hour program, most people watch 2 hour movies, and truth be known most people start watching tv about 6-7pm or maybe 8 at the latest and watch till 11 anyways. Sitting in a car listening to the radio isn't much more difficult than watching tv, assuming your not going more than say 2hours. I leave the house and Im home in 6 hours if im trolling, and if im casting im home in 4 tops. You watch tv im goin fishing...believe me if I could consistently catch big eyes closer I sure would. The real problem with the drive is the cost of gas...everyone has plenty of time to fish...just shut the tv off!

justin

I guess I look at things a little different than most. Nobody has a problem sitting in front of a tv for a 1 hour program, most people watch 2 hour movies, and truth be known most people start watching tv about 6-7pm or maybe 8 at the latest and watch till 11 anyways. Sitting in a car listening to the radio isn't much more difficult than watching tv, assuming your not going more than say 2hours. I leave the house and Im home in 6 hours if im trolling, and if im casting im home in 4 tops. You watch tv im goin fishing...believe me if I could consistently catch big eyes closer I sure would. The real problem with the drive is the cost of gas...everyone has plenty of time to fish...just shut the tv off!

justin

I couldn't agree with you more JT. One thing that sticks in my head is I went to a coyote calling sem. Held by Dennis Kirk very informative and his last statement was you will never kill one sitting in front of the TV. How true, I love calling, shot a few in my time, and got busted more than I shot. But it is a true adrenalin rush when they are coming in, and until it's over it's a nerve racking event. I thought I could shoot with the best of them free hand but I must admit I get yote. fever and had to put a set of Harris bipods on my rifle which helped me immensely on my hit ratio. I'm not a pelt hunter I'm out to kill, there are so many killing off the deer pop. it's bad. PA. game comm. brought in "Quote" sharp shooters to hunt them in the developments because fido, and little pussy cats and other type pets were getting missing. My favorite dog gun is my 25,06 it gets the job done and if you hit one there's not much looking around, usually they don't move off the spot. My other favorite is my Remington SP 10 gauge with dead coyote choke tube and 3-1/2 mag dead coyote shot, I've killed one 80 paces with it, it looked like you shot into a lime bag, total devastation!!!

If anyone thinks walleye fishing is tough take up coyote hunting...walleyes are easy in comparison. Im a 25wssm guy myself, same ballistics and felt recoil in a short action. Ive called em, and ran them with hounds since 92. Probably will do a bit more calling this year as my hound died and cant bear the thought of going with the guys and their dogs without her. Ill get a pup again someday...I call and cody does the shooting.

justin

If anyone thinks walleye fishing is tough take up coyote hunting...walleyes are easy in comparison. Im a 25wssm guy myself, same ballistics and felt recoil in a short action. Ive called em, and ran them with hounds since 92. Probably will do a bit more calling this year as my hound died and cant bear the thought of going with the guys and their dogs without her. Ill get a pup again someday...I call and cody does the shooting.

justin

Hey, that's a sweet looking pill, I didn't even know they made that cartridge till I just looked it up. My cousin has it in the 243 wssm cartridge which I thought was sweet.

justin

I have never hunted for yotes through calling however I use to get into calling greyfox at night the most I ever shot was 12 in one night and that missed another 5. I have killed yotes just not through calling for them.  Ok I just put some bacon wraped meatballs on the smoker and then its off for my last night of walleye fishing on Otisco we are pulling the boat tomorrow... Wish me luck!!