Rapala Original Floating Stickbaits for Lake Ontario

MikeyP

Trying to get all my stickbaits in order this winter for spring brown trout fishing and I was wondering what sizes (F9, F11 etc...) and colors seem to work best in the spring. Thanks for any input.

Edited by MikeyP

Gold sides with black and red backs, and silver sides with black and chartreuse backs.

I prefer the F9 and F11 tied direct with a tight knot not a loop, knot placed on wire loop at about 4:30 when looking from the side over the J9 and J11. The Fs tied like this have a super exaggerated action at slower speeds that often gets savage strikes in cold water. Knot position below centerline also helps keep baits closer to surface making them much more shallow water friendly.

I can't seem to edit my previous post so let me try my explanation again; it was pretty poorly worded.

I prefer the F9 and F11 over the J9 and J11 because the standard floaters can be super-tuned to get an exaggerated action that often produces aggressive strikes from fish in cold water. To rig the floaters I tie direct to the lure's wire loop with a knot that will snug down tight on the wire, not a free loop knot. A loop will give you a little extra action compared to using a snap, but nowhere near the action you can get with a tight knot. What I do is hold the body of the lure horizontal and then slide the knot downward on the lure's wire loop so the knot is positioned at about 4:30 on the clock. I then drop it over the side and watch the action. I might make small adjustments to the position of the knot, but when it is set right, the lure should have a very exaggerated side to side wobble and the body will roll back and forth along it's axis so much that you can actually see the underside of the lure at times when looking down at it from above. When a fish (or some debris in the water) hooks up, the knot will slide on the lure's wire loop to the middle of the loop as you are bringing in the fish (or debris). Once netted, the fish can toss the knot to any angle or position on the loop as it flops around in the net, so each and every time you reset it the knot position will have to be re-adjusted.

I find that in cold water in early spring (fishing for browns) or in late spring along thermal bars fishing for 'bows), this rigging out fishes loop tied lures 2 to 1.

Another aspect of this tight knot method, which can be advantageous especially in the spring for browns, is that the lure will run higher in the water column so you can run them behind boards into some really shallow water. They run so shallow that sometimes on calm water days seagulls will dive and take a whack at them. It can be rather humorous reeling a seagull down out of the sky...

I use F11's mostly and a good amount of Storm prism shallow divers. I tie them directly to the line using a palomar knot. Also I would recommend a good 4'-6' floruocarbon leader (Seagur is my go too) in 15# at heaviest.

My best advise would be to buy everything in pairs, I don't buy less than 4 of anything anymore. If that lure color and size is hot get as many as you can in the water. Or when you break one at least you have a backup. 9-11's are good but don't forget 3-5-7 as well. my top colors sets would be "naturals" live target- rick clunn- black silver and glass minnow my Brights would be Firetiger and the storm uv in orange and green glow.

John Powell...I can't seem to edit my post either or quote anyone? I wonder if there is something wrong those features? Thanks for the clear explanation for rigging. I seem to learn something all the time here at LOU.

used to tune the Rapalas for walleyes by flatting the eye slightly and bending it down toward the lip.  Seal it again with clear fingernail paint.  I put a finishing nail in the loop before i try to flatten it so I don't crush it ( like I did the first time :lol: )  This gives the lure a wider rolling type of action that sounds like what John is doing with his tight knot.  Used to drill them and weight them to make them suspend. , expensive when you mess it up.

Great thread guys, I find the way you guys tie your lures to make them perform better interesting I didn't know that, and the colors are a good thing also, thanks for the heads up!!!