Need A boat name

Mick

I believe the old riviera swivel base is aluminum. I dont see any way of removing the top of the base which I want to mount the sport troll snap in base to unless I unbolt the whole swivel base from the boat. The screw holes for the cannon wouldn't hit any of the existing holes so maybee drilling and tapping it out would be the best way. I don't know off hand what size the bolts are (they are in the garage). So how would I do this ? Drill the hole out smaller than the diameter of the tap and then use the tap? I have never tapped a hole into metal before, and where do I get one. There is a small engine shop up the road from me, I could ask him. Thanks for the input guys. I'm just trying to get as much ready as asap. The old rivieras worked ok last year but the counters were shot and the clutch was slipping a little. I want to wait until I can afford a bigger boat before I go to electrics. At around $80 each for new cannon swivel bases I'm trying to just make do with what I got. Thank's again - Mick

Mick, without seeing your swivel mount, I can only make a recommendation for what it is worth. If you are sure that all holes will miss the current holes, you could use a drill such as (.271) for drilling and tapping for a 5/16-24 This is a fine thread which is what you would want. As Tom mentioned, use stainless flatheads and Loctite for extra security. Depending on how much material is left between the current holes and the ones you would need, I'd still think about patching the obsolete, and flat file to solidify the wall thickness between holes. Only a suggestion.

So just fill the holes with JB weld? I can do that. Thank's for the help guys. Just worked a 12 hour shift and I'm ready for bed. I won't be able to work on it until monday so I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks - Mick

Mick - Which Rivieras do you have? Does it look like this one?

RIVIERA.jpg

If so, the clutch can easily be tightened up with an allen wrench through a cutout above the crank handle. There are 3 or 4 screws. Just turn each about an 1/8 of a turn clockwise.

As to the size, if you can’t measure the diameter of the bolts then take the bolts to your local hardware store. They probably have drawers of nuts that aren’t packaged. Just find one that fits & remember the size. Let us know the size and we’ll tell what size hole you need. As Chinook said the drill size is smaller than the screw/thread size.

Taps & tap handles can be bought at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

The more I think about it, I'd attach a new aluminum spacer plate into the old downrigger mounting holes on the swivel base then drill & tap the spacer plate for the new rigger.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom, again, thanks for your followup on trying to help Mick in his quandry. I, like you would make a spacer to adapt, if he chooses to use his Riviera swivel. I'm always looking for some good help, for it is hard to find. Need a job? :)

Longline and chinook thank's for the suggestions. Finally a day off tomorrow.The 12 hour shifts are getting old quick. My uncle gave me a 1/4 inch tap wich he said should do the job. He said the drill bit to use is a 13/64. I do like the idea of a plate in between, but then I would have to drill the holes larger in the top of the transition plate so that the bolts would be flush. It would be much easier to do though in the garage instead of on the boat itself. My wife's going to try to show me how to post a pic so you guys can see what I'm dealing with. And no the old rivieras I have have the same crank set up but 2-3 foot booms. I actually found a broken sport troll on e-bay for cheap and modified it and I have a stock sport troll. I'll try to post a pic of that to. Thank's again guys- Mick

Mick, glad to hear that you got things worked out. You have to give yourself more credit at times. Best of luck with not only your setup ,but thru the upcoming season. On a side note-Since I normally fish out of the Oak, there are times when I'm a man or 2 short. Maybe if you are interested you can tag along sometime. I fish out of a 24' Penn Yan and would always have room if you would like. Just a thought.