Ice coverage on the Great Lakes

Sk8man

Les,

Thanks for the link!   I always enjoy and learn from your posts!

I live a couple of blocks from the big O and have been watching the shifting ice all winter.    A couple of times the Ice was on this side and it went out as far as you can see.   For the past couple of weeks we only have a couple hundred feet of ice and then water which is visible on those pictures.

I wonder how this will effect lake ecology and fishing?

Jack

Thanks for the nice comment Jack. This seems like the old winters I remember as a kid...hard to tell what the Spring will look like. If the extreme cold continues and the ice gets thicker and thicker I would think that itmay take longer to break up in the Spring...guess it depends on the air temps and wind at that point....best of luck fishing this year Jack. Les

Earliest I have seen Lake Ontario go Isothermic (same temp top-bottom).  Lately isothermic conditions did not exist until mid-March.  I would expect the boom on Erie will stay in place until April 20th.  BOOOOOOOOO :puke:  :puke:

ovwt-00_zps63790ef0.gif

They say this Will be the first time in 50 years lake superior will completely freeze over. Kind of interesting with all this global warming.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

Funny thing this topic came up, I just watched our local news and Tom Clark our weather man said that the only lake that isn't froze over was Lake O, and it's been years since this happened!! I have to agree with Chas, what happened to the global warming they've been talking about?? one thing for sure if this summer  is as hot as this winter was cold might have to put a air conditioner in the boat. LOL.

Earliest I have seen Lake Ontario go Isothermic (same temp top-bottom).  Lately isothermic conditions did not exist until mid-March.  I would expect the boom on Erie will stay in place until April 20th.  BOOOOOOOOO :puke:  :puke:

ovwt-00_zps63790ef0.gif

Last year the intake temp here at work got to 36 degrees for the low.  It stayed there for 2 days.  That happened in early March.  This year, the low is 34 degrees and it has been 34 degrees since Jan. 11th.  This temp reading is taken at the intake crib on the bottom of the lake in 50'. 

Last year the intake temp here at work got to 36 degrees for the low.  It stayed there for 2 days.  That happened in early March.  This year, the low is 34 degrees and it has been 34 degrees since Jan. 11th.  This temp reading is taken at the intake crib on the bottom of the lake in 50'. 

They say this is the coldest winter on record.  I bet those fish will stay in the shallows longer this year if the lake warms gradually.  Most likely I will be wrong and we will have 70* days starting the middle of March.